Game Over II
|Game Over II|
Cover art by Luis Royo
|Platform(s)||Amstrad CPC, Atari ST, Commodore 64, MS-DOS, MSX, ZX Spectrum|
|Genre(s)||Shoot 'em up, platform game|
Game Over II is a mix between a scrolling shoot 'em up game (similar to R-Type) and a platform game (similar to Turrican). There are four "phases" with six levels each. Some versions of the game were split into two parts due to size restrictions.
The story begins after Arkon, the hero of the rebellion, has managed to defeat the evil empress Gremla and free the galaxy from her oppressive rule. In the original Spanish version (Phantis), the player controls Major Locke who tries to rescue her boyfriend Arkon, captured by the forces loyal to the vengeful unnamed heir of Gremla (featured in the cover art) and imprisoned on the planet Phantis. In the English-language version, titled Game Over II, it is Arkon's job to rescue Commander Serena. Other than that, the game is the same in both versions.
Although originally conceived as an independent game under the title Phantis, it became a sequel to Game Over. The Atari ST version was never published in Spain and only exists with the Game Over II title. The game's promotion included an appearance of a model dressed up as Queen Gremla at the trade convention PC Show '88.
The game was given generally mediocre reviews. It received the scores of 69% from Amstrad Action, 55% from Commodore User, 60-63% from The Games Machine, and 62% from Sinclair User. Amstrad Computer User gave it a 17/20.
- "MSX Club". Archive.org. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "MicroHobby Magazine Issue 179" (PDF) – via Internet Archive.
- "Amstrad Action Issue 038". Archive.org. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Commodore User Magazine Issue 63". 1 December 1988 – via Internet Archive.
- "The Games Machine Magazine Issue 12". Archive.org. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Sinclair User Magazine Issue 080". Archive.org. Retrieved 26 November 2014.
- "Amstrad Computer User 01-90 (Aug 84 - May 92)" – via Internet Archive.