Gamera: Super Monster
|Gamera, Super Monster|
|Directed by||Noriaki Yuasa|
|Edited by||Zenko Miyazaki
|Distributed by||New Daiei|
When the evil alien Zanon comes to enslave Earth, all hope seems lost. The Earth's resident superheroes, the Spacewomen, are powerless to stop him. They must enlist the help of a young boy who has a special connection with the giant turtle Gamera. The Friend of All Children then battles Gyaos (a huge vampire bat/pterosaur hybrid), Zigra (an alien shark), Viras (a alien squid), Jiger (a female giant prehistoric dinosaur), Guiron (a knife-headed alien monster) and finally Barugon (an enormous lizard whose tongue sprays a freezing gas that can freeze things solid and back spines which emit a powerful rainbow ray that can melt or dissolve any solid object). Gamera sacrifices his life in the end to destroy Zanon once and for all and protect Earth.
- Mach Fumiake as Kilara
- Yaeko Kojima as Marsha
- Yoko Komatsu as Mitan
- Keiko Kudo as Giruge
- Koichi Maeda as Keiichi
- Toshie Takada as Keiichi's mother
Gamera: Super Monster contains extensive stock footage of the entire Gamera film series, as well as Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999. Almost all the footage of Gamera is stock footage.
Gamera: Super Monster was released theatrically in Japan on March 20, 1980 where it was distributed by New Daiei.
Elvira's Movie Macabre
The movie was featured on a 1983 episode of Elvira's Movie Macabre, which Shout! Factory released on a DVD in 2007 featuring together with the 1967 British film They Came from Beyond Space. The films can be watched with or without the Elvira host segments.
In 2007, Gamera, Super Monster was shown on the horror hosted television series Cinema Insomnia. Apprehensive Films later released the Cinema Insomnia episode onto DVD in both regular and special "Slime Line" editions.
Shout! Factory acquired the rights from Kadokawa Pictures for all eight of the Showa-era Gamera films and has issued the uncut Japanese versions on DVD for the first time in North America. These "Special Edition" DVDs were released in sequential order, starting with Gamera: The Giant Monster (1965) on May 18, 2010.
- Galbraith IV 1994, p. 311.
- Galbraith IV 1994, p. 312.
- Galbraith IV 1994, p. 258.
- Elvira's Movie Macabre: Gamera, Super Monster/They Came from Beyond Space : DVD Talk Review of the DVD Video
- DVD Verdict Review - Elvira's Movie Macabre: Gamera, Super Monsters / They Came From Beyond Space
- "Cinema Insomnia". Cinema Insomnia. Archived from the original on 28 March 2010. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "Gamera Super Monster DVD". Apprehensive Films. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- "Gamera Super Monster Slime Line DVD". Apprehensive Films. Retrieved 20 July 2010.
- The Colossal Chelonian Lives! Shout! Factory Unleashes GAMERA on DVD!
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Gamera: Super Monster|