First light novel volume cover
|Written by||Sekina Aoi|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Imprint||Fujimi Fantasia Bunko|
|Original run||March 20, 2015 – present|
|Written by||Sekina Aoi|
|Published by||Fujimi Shobo|
|Original run||2016 – present|
|Anime television series|
|Directed by||Manabu Okamoto|
|Written by||Hiroki Uchida|
|Music by||Yoshiaki Dewa|
|Original network||AT-X, Tokyo MX, SUN, BS11|
|Original run||July 13, 2017 – September 28, 2017|
Gamers! (Japanese: ゲーマーズ! Hepburn: Gēmāzu!) is a Japanese light novel series written by Sekina Aoi and illustrated by Saboten. Fujimi Shobo have published eight volumes since 2015 under their Fujimi Fantasia Bunko imprint. An anime television series adaptation by Pine Jam aired from July to September 2017.
Keita Amano, a high school boy who enjoys playing video games by himself, is approached by the beautiful school idol Karen Tendō to join the school's Gaming Club. Keita tries it out, but finds it is about competitive gaming, so he declines her offer. This rejection sets off a trigger of events in the lives of Keita and his fellow students in matters of both video games and romance with no small amount of misunderstandings along the way.
In the light novels, the characters take turns narrating the chapters, with most of them done by Keita Amano.
- Keita Amano (
雨野 景太Amano Keita)
- Voiced by: Megumi Han (Japanese); Brandon McInnis (English)
- Keita is a rather plain second-year high school student who loves video games. He initially does not have any school friends, preferring to just play on his handheld console or on his phone. He considers Karen Tendo to be the perfect girl, but turns down her invitations to join the Game Club because he prefers to play games for fun and not as something competitive. He often thinks of himself as unworthy of her affections, but is encouraged by Tasuku to be friends with KarenLN 1 and eventually ask her out. In later episodes, he reveals that sometimes, he does like to compete to win. He uses two online usernames, Tsucchi and Yama, both of which are based on his mother's maiden name Tsuchiyama. He is a big fan of independent game designer "Nobe", and teams up with online player Mono.Ep. 3 He is very stubborn when it comes to his opinions on games, clashing with Chiaki Hoshinomori regularly over use of moe characters and other things, even though the two are very much alike.Ep. 3, 5 In the light novel, Keita notes that he has a brother two years younger.LN 1
- Karen Tendo (
天道 花憐Tendō Karen, also Karen Tendou)
- Voiced by: Hisako Kanemoto[a] (Japanese); Brittney Karbowski (English)
- Karen is the most beautiful girl at school and the president of the school's Game Club. She has long naturally blond hair and green eyes.[b] She excels in everything at school from looks and popularity to sports to academics.LN 1Ep. 1 She had enrolled in the school because of the club's prestige, but its senior members had left, so she took it upon herself to revive the club, and she privately recruits members as she does not want it to be filled with guys who are only interested in asking her out.LN 1 She invites Keita to join her club, but when she is rejected, she becomes noticeably upset. While watching Keita from a distance, she develops a crush on him because he stands up to Tasuku in defending her and the club,LN 1 She becomes flustered whenever she thinks of him or interacts with him, that it messes up her focus on her daily routines of going for a morning jog, helping teachers, rejecting love confessions from suitors, and hanging out with the Game Club.Ep. 4 She mistakenly believes that Keita and Aguri are a couple, having seen them together.Ep. 3–5 Midway through the anime series, she spontaneously accepts Keita's asking her to be a couple, but is willing to stay in the relationship.Ep. 6-7
- Tasuku Uehara (
上原 祐Uehara Tasuku)
- Voiced by: Toshiyuki Toyonaga (Japanese); Clifford Chapin (English)
- Keita's classmate is a good-looking and outgoing guy. He is an occasional gamer and is skilled at arcade games. A former gamer nerd in middle school, he changed his appearance and attitude when he entered high school to shun gamer nerds, yet feels drawn to be involved in Keita's life and his situation with Karen that he is willing to help Keita progress in his social life.LN 1 He is quite proud that he landed a cute girlfriend Aguri, but later learns that Aguri had liked him back when he was a nerd.Ep. 2 He is the first to make the connection between Keita and Chiaki's gaming personas, and then tries to pair the two together as friends, while also supporting Keita and Karen's relationship. He creates a Gamers Meet-Up Club with all parties involved, however, his efforts, as well as his increasing interactions with Chiaki and Karen, lead to more misunderstandings.Ep. 5
- Aguri (
- Voiced by: Rumi Ōkubo (Japanese); Tia Ballard (English)
- Aguri is Tasuku's girlfriend. In the anime, she is a petite girl with pink hair and purple eyes. She does not play video games nor has interest in them. She fell in love with Tasuku after he gave her a plushie doll in middle school, and she changed her appearance as well in order to get closer to him.Ep. 2 She becomes jealous that Tasuku is being friendly with Chiaki, but allies with Keita to help him relate better with Karen.
- Chiaki Hoshinomori (
星ノ守 千秋Hoshinomori Chiaki)
- Voiced by: Manaka Iwami (Japanese); Marissa Lenti (English)
- Chiaki is a shy and quiet girl in Karen's class. She has messy "seaweed" dark blue hair and purple eyes. She enjoys playing handheld and phone games like Keita, and had declined Karen's invitation to join the Game Club. At school, she and Keita initially get along because they agree on many things about games, until they clash over their opinions on putting moe characters in video games. She takes Tasuku's advice on improving her appearance, and cuts her hair, but her increased interactions with Tasuku make Aguri jealous.Ep. 3 She is Keita's online friend "Mono" and his favorite indie game developer "Nobe", although both Chiaki and Keita are unaware of each other's online personas.Ep. 5 She is shocked when Keita reveals his gaming personalities to the group, and begins to develop feelings towards him.Ep. 8
- Eiichi Misumi (三角 瑛一 Misumi Eiichi)
- Voiced by: Natsuki Hanae (Japanese); Howard Wang (English)
- Eiichi is Karen's classmate who joins the Game Club at the beginning of the series. He has short black hair. His specialty is in arcade puzzle games, but he also is able to adapt to learning new games and growing skills based on observing how others play. He says that he got into gaming because he had lost his memory when he was younger and playing block puzzles gives him a link to his past.Ep. 1 The last episode in the anime series shows his secretive past in which he had escaped some underground organizations, and then encounters his estranged sister Riki in the finals of a game tournament.Ep. 12
- Gakuto Kase (加瀬 岳人 Kase Gakuto)
- Voiced by: Yasuaki Takumi (Japanese); Alejandro Saab (English)
- Gakuto is a third-year student, and a member of the Game Club. He has red hair and wears glasses. He gets serious when it comes to FPS games. He took up gaming because his father was mercenary who trained him in the family business when he was a kid.Ep. 1
- Niina Oiso (大磯 新那 Ōiso Niina)
- Voiced by: Yuna Yoshino (Japanese); Dawn M. Bennett (English)
- Niina is a third-year member of the Game Club who specializes in fighting games. Karen considers her the sexy big sister type. She has long brown hair and brown eyes. She doesn't talk with people while she is playing. Karen said she got into gaming in order to win her friend back by trying to defeat her in a fighting game.Ep. 1
- Konoha Hoshinomori (星ノ守 心春 Hoshinomori Konoha)
- Voiced by: Yūki Kuwahara (Japanese); Jad Saxton (English)
- Konoha is Chiaki's younger sister. She is envious of Karen Tendo's popularity and is somewhat happy that she didn't have to compete with her by going to a different school where she could become student council president. She secretly enjoys adult games and revels in being in the company of cute girls.Ep. 8 When Keita visits Chiaki's home and accidentally sees the "Mono" and "Nobe" information, Chiaki tells Keita that Konoha is the person behind those accounts.Ep. 9 She tries to support her sister in relating closer to Keita.
|No.||Title||Japanese release date||Japanese ISBN|
|1||Keita Amano and Youth Continue (雨野景太と青春コンティニュー, Amano Keita to Seishun Kontinyū)||March 20, 2015||ISBN 978-4-04-070533-0|
|2||Karen Tendou and Surprise Happy End (天道花憐と不意打ちハッピーエンド, Tendō Karen to Fuiuchi Happī Endo)||July 18, 2015||ISBN 978-4-04-070534-7|
|3||Chiaki Hoshinomori and New Game of First Love (星ノ守千秋と初恋ニューゲーム, Hoshinomori Chiaki to Hatsukoi Nyū Gēmu)||November 20, 2015||ISBN 978-4-04-070753-2|
|4||Aguri and Unconscious Critical (亜玖璃と無自覚クリティカル, Aguri to Mujikaku Kuritikaru)||March 19, 2016||ISBN 978-4-04-070754-9|
|5||Gamers and Annihilated Game Over (ゲーマーズと全滅ゲームオーバー, Gēmāzu to Zenmetsu Gēmu Ōbā)||July 20, 2016||ISBN 978-4-04-070969-7|
|6||The Lonely Gamer and Love Confession Chain Combo (ぼっちゲーマーと告白チェインコンボ, Bocchi Gēmā to Kokuhaku Chein Konbo)||November 19, 2016||ISBN 978-4-04-070970-3|
|7||Gamers and Kiss of Dead End (ゲーマーズと口づけデッドエンド, Gēmāzu to Kuchizuke Deddo Endo)||March 18, 2017||ISBN 978-4-04-070971-0|
|8||Konoha Hoshinomori and Reversal Back Attack (星ノ守心春と逆転バックアタック, Hoshinomori Konoha to Gyakuten Bakku Atakku)||July 20, 2017||ISBN 978-4-04-072369-3|
|9||Keita Amano and Youth Skills Reset (雨野景太と青春スキルリセット, Keita Amano to Seishun Sukiru Risetto)||January 20, 2018||ISBN 978-4-04-072370-9|
|10||Karen Tendou and Surprise Update (天道花憐と不意打ちアップデート, Tendō Karen to Fuiuchi Appudēto)||May 19, 2018||ISBN 978-4-04-072371-6|
An anime television series adaptation directed by Manabu Okamoto and produced by Pine Jam was announced. The 12-episode series aired in Japan between July 13, 2017 and September 28, 2017. The opening theme is "GAMERS!" by Hisako Kanemoto, Manaka Iwami and Rumi Ōkubo. The ending themes are "Fight on!" for all episodes except for episode nine and ten which is "Koi no Prologue*" (恋のprologue* Prologue to Love), both performed by Luce Twinkle Wink☆. Crunchyroll streamed the series while Funimation has licensed the series in North America and began streaming an English dub from July 27, 2017.
|No.||Title[c]||Original air date|
|1||"Keita Amano and Chapters of the Chosen"|
"Amano Keita to Michibi Kareshisha-tachi" (雨野景太と導かれし者達)
|July 13, 2017|
|One day, Keita Amano, a high school boy who has no friends and spends time playing video games, is approached by the beautiful Karen Tendō about joining their school's Game Club. Smitten by Karen's offer, Keita is slightly disappointed that he wasn't the only one Karen asked to join, but ends up having fun playing FPS games with the other members. Ultimately, however, Keita decides against joining the Game Club as he prefers to play games for enjoyment instead of competition. This rejection hits pretty hard with Karen, who runs off in tears.|
|2||"Tasuku Uehara and New Game +"|
"Uehara Tasuku to Tsuyokute Nyū Gēmu" (上原祐と強くてニューゲーム)
|July 20, 2017|
|As Keita's public rejection of Karen's offer causes a stir among his classmates, Tasuku Uehara comes across Keita at the arcade and ends up playing various games with him. Keita runs off when Tasuku's friends show up, feeling he shouldn't interfere with his "normal life", but Tasuku chases after him, revealing he had only been putting on a front as he was bullied for being a geek in middle school. After the two come to a mutual understanding and part ways, Tasuku notices Karen seems to have fallen in love with Keita before returning to his own girlfriend, Aguri. Having only been dating her without any particular reason, Tasuku is surprised to learn that Aguri fell in love with him when he was still a geek, changing his entire perspective of her.|
|3||"Chiaki Hoshinomori and StreetPass Communication"|
"Hoshinomori Chiaki to Surechigai Tsūshin" (星ノ守千秋とすれ違い通信)
|July 27, 2017|
|Wanting Keita to talk properly with Karen, Tasuku encourages him to strike up a conversation with Chiaki Hoshinomori, a girl in Karen's class who also plays video games. The two manage to quickly strike up a friendship over their similar tastes in games but soon get into a fight over trivial gaming matters. As Tasuku tries to mediate between the two, he unknowingly causes Aguri to worry that he is making moves on Chiaki, particularly when he compliments her after she cuts her hair. Keita chases after Aguri in the hopes of clearing up any confusion, but things only get worse when Aguri spots Tasuku and Chiaki together across the street.|
|4||"Karen Tendo and Slump Days"|
"Tendō Karen to Suranpu Deizu" (天道花憐とスランプ・デイズ)
|August 3, 2017|
|Karen's increasing obsession over Keita starts to have a serious effect on both her daily school life and her gaming ability. Upon running into Keita during the weekend, Karen invites him to the arcade and challenges him to a battle of coin games. Surprised to find that Keita cares about winning sometimes, Karen finds comfort in Keita's belief that playing to win and having fun need not be separate things. Despite becoming motivated by Keita's words, Karen finds herself only becoming even worse at video games.|
|5||"Aguri and Communication Error"|
"Aguri to Tsūshin Erā" (亜玖璃と通信エラー)
|August 10, 2017|
|While Keita is with Aguri, Tasuku discovers that Chiaki is both Mono, Keita's online friend from his social game, and Nobe, the developer behind some of his favorite freeware games, leading to the moment where Aguri makes her misunderstanding. Feeling that Keita and Chiaki should make up with each other, Tasuku decides to hold a Gamer's Meet Up, inviting Karen to join in. Despite a healthy discussion about the games Chiaki are developing, the misunderstandings involving them and Aguri only seem to increase. The next day, Tasuku tries to convince Keita that he's made more progress with Karen than he thinks he has, only to wind up giving Chiaki yet another misunderstanding.|
|6||"Gamers and Wipeout "Game Over""|
"Gēmāzu to Zenmetsu Gēmu Ōbā" (ゲーマーズと全滅ゲームオーバー)
|August 17, 2017|
Keita and Aguri spy on a conversation between Tasuku and Chiaki, missing the first part of their conversation and assuming Tasuku is cheating with her. Both Aguri and Tasuku encourage Keita to ask Karen to be her friend, with Tasuku setting things up so that many students will bear witness to his request. In the run-up to the event, Tasuku, Aguri, and Chiaki start to have wild assumptions of what the reactions of each other will entail in terms of relationships while Karen assumes that Keita is preparing to reject her. As the moment of truth finally arrives, Keita, having completed a dating sim the previous night, inadvertently blurts out a love confession taken from the game, which Karen immediately accepts to everyone's shock.
|7||"Keita Amano and Karen's Best Entertainment"|
"Amano Keita to Tendō Karen no Saikō no Goraku" (雨野景太と天道花憐の最高の娯楽)
|August 24, 2017|
|Following his accidental confession to Karen, Keita contemplates if he should rescind it due to assuming she and Tasuku are an item. After Aguri tells him to decide for himself on what to do, Keita formally asks Karen to go on a date with him to an entertainment center. As the two spend time playing sports games and going to the pool, things become awkward when they run into Chiaki, who proposes they play a kart game. Although Keita ends up losing, Karen is happy that he made things more enjoyable and the two finish off their date with some cheerful game discussion.|
|8||"Erogamer and Watching Mode"|
"Erogēmā to Kansen Mōdo" (エロゲーマーと観戦モード)
|August 31, 2017|
|"Gamers and Half their Life Game"|
"Gēmāzu to Hansei Gēmu" (ゲーマーズと半生ゲーム)
Chiaki's younger sister Konoha, who secretly enjoys erotic games, overhears Keita and Misumi at the game shop, taking comfort in Keita recommending an old game she also has a fondness for. Later, the Gamers play a Love Love Game of Half-Life board game together, becoming even more awkward as a result of the oddly specific spaces they land on. Just as Tasuku and Aguri manage to clear up some of the misunderstandings between each other, Chiaki finally discovers that Keita was her online friend and the one supporting her freeware games this entire time.
|9||"Chiaki Hoshinomori and Account Hack"|
"Hoshinomori Chiaki to Akaunto Hakku" (星ノ守千秋とアカウントハック)
|September 7, 2017|
|Feeling conflicted about her recent revelation, Chiaki goes to the convenience store and comes across Keita, who left his train pass behind the previous night. Upon returning to her apartment, Chiaki accidentally shows Keita her computer and phone linking her to Nobe and Mono and, in her panic, claims that Konoha is the one behind both of those aliases. While feeling something amiss about this reveal, Keita comes across Konoha as she goes to meet up with Chiaki, who receives a strange call from Tasuku that the others interpret as a confession.|
|10||"Gamers and Next Stage"|
"Gēmāzu to Nekusuto Sutēji" (ゲーマーズとネクストステージ)
|September 14, 2017|
|As Chiaki feels conflicted over Tasuku's "confession", Keita invites Aguri to join their Gamers meet up to discuss the matter but finds himself unable to bring it up, instead stating his determination to buy a new game from his favorite series. Later that night, Konoha encourages Chiaki to sort out her feelings for Keita. The next day, Aguri gets dragged to an awkward meeting with a middle school friend, Sarina, taking offense when she starts mocking her gamer friends. Meanwhile, Karen asks Chiaki and Tasuku to accompany her as she talks about Keita seemingly liking games more than her, leading to yet another complication when Aguri sees them together. As the others manage to clear up the misunderstanding, they are surprised to find Keita prioritize coming to help Aguri over buying his video game.|
|11||"Gamers and Youth Continue"|
"Gēmāzu to Seishun Kontinyū" (ゲーマーズと青春コンティニュー)
|September 21, 2017|
|Concerned about the relationship between Keita and Aguri, Tasuku suggests to Karen that they prove their respective relationships by inviting them on a double date to an amusement park. While Keita and Aguri assume Karen and Tasuku are trying to cover up their alleged cheating, Konoha brings Chiaki to the same theme park to intrude on their date. While the others explore a haunted house, Konoha sets things up for Chiaki to spend some time alone with Keita. As Chiaki ultimately decides to withhold expressing her feelings, the date proves to be a success for the other couples.|
|12||"Gamers and Billing System Talk"|
"Gēmāzu to Kakin Tōku" (ゲーマーズと課金トーク)
|September 28, 2017|
|While at a training camp with the other Gamers, Aguri questions whether games are actually any fun for how expensive they are, particularly in regards to downloadable content (DLC). While everyone's arguments just seem to confuse her further, Keita's fondness for a bad game his parents bought for him helps her understand it a little.|
- ^ "LN" is shortened form for light novel and refers to a volume in the Gamers! light novels.
- ^ "Ch." is shortened form for chapter and refers to a chapter number of the collected Gamers! manga
- ^ "Ep." is shortened form for episode and refers to an episode number of the Gamers! anime
- "Gamers! TV Anime's July Premiere, 12-Episode Run, Visual Revealed". Anime News Network. March 25, 2017. Retrieved March 25, 2017.
- "Gamers! TV Anime Reveals Main Cast, Theme Song Artists". Anime News Network. May 20, 2017. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "Funimation Announces Simuldub Casts for A Centaur's Life, Hina Logic, Gamers!, Convenience Store Boy Friends". Anime News Network. Archived from the original on 2017-08-03. Retrieved 2017-07-26.
- "「生徒会の一存」シリーズ著者・葵せきなの新作は、 "こじらせゲーマー達" の日常を描く青春物語!? 「ゲーマーズ！」爆誕！". 株式会社KADOKAWAのプレスリリース (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "Summer 2017 Simuldub on FunimationNow". Funimation. July 13, 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ! 雨野景太と青春コンティニュー". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!2 天道花憐と不意打ちハッピーエンド". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!3 星ノ守千秋と初恋ニューゲーム". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!4 亜玖璃と無自覚クリティカル". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!5 ゲーマーズと全滅ゲームオーバー". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!6 ぼっちゲーマーと告白チェインコンボ". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!7 ゲーマーズと口づけデッドエンド". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!8 星ノ守心春と逆転バックアタック". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 14 July 2017.
- "ゲーマーズ!9 雨野景太と青春スキルリセット". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "ゲーマーズ!10 天道花憐と不意打ちアップデート". 富士見書房 (in Japanese). Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "Sekina Aoi's Gamers! Light Novel Series Gets Anime". Anime News Network. October 22, 2016. Retrieved October 22, 2016.
- "Gamers! Anime's TV Format, Staff Revealed". Anime News Network. March 19, 2017. Retrieved March 20, 2017.
- "Gamers! TV Anime to Premiere on July 13". Anime News Network. June 9, 2017. Retrieved June 10, 2017.
- "TVアニメ『ゲーマーズ！』OP/EDテーマ新情報公開！" (in Japanese). gamers-anime.com. June 13, 2017. Retrieved June 30, 2017.
- "Crunchyroll Streams Gamers!, Irresponsible Galaxy Tylor, Nora, Ikémen Sengoku Anime". Anime News Network. July 12, 2017. Retrieved July 12, 2017.
- "Funimation to Simuldub Tsuredure Children, Convenience Store Boy Friends, Gamers!, My First Girlfriend is a Gal Anime". Anime News Network. July 13, 2017. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- "Gamers!" (in Japanese). Tokyo MX. Retrieved July 14, 2017.
- "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! 2017's Series Ranking". Anime News Network. November 23, 2016. Retrieved April 13, 2018.
- "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! Reveals 2018 Series Ranking". Anime News Network. November 24, 2017. Retrieved April 13, 2018.