Games People Play (2019 TV series)
|Games People Play|
|Based on||Games Divas Play|
by Angela Burt-Murray
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||1|
|No. of episodes||3—4|
|Running time||60 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Edmonds Entertainment|
|Original release||April 23, 2019|
Games People Play takes place "inside the high-stakes world of professional sports where everyone plays to win. With an ensemble cast of dynamic characters including an ambitious reporter, a millionaire basketball player, a desperate housewife, a scandalous groupie, and a murderous stalker, the series follows three women Nia, Vanessa and Laila and the men in their lives. In a ruthless battle for success, these women’s passions and motivations are seldom altruistic, but their life choices and drive will determine what it really takes to stay on top."
Cast and characters
- Lauren London as Vanessa King, a desperate basketball wife trying to protect her family
- Parker McKenna Posey as Laila James, a scandalous groupie looking to become a star
- Karen Obilom as Nia Bullock, a tenacious reporter struggling to rebuild her tarnished career
- Sarunas J. Jackson as Marques King, an all star baller married to Vanessa whose inability to resist temptation causes irreparable damage to his marriage
- Jackie Long as Kareem Johnson, Marquis’ best friend and assistant, who was a former college basketball standout destined for fame and fortune
- Barry Brewer as Eric Rowland, Nia’s live-in boyfriend, an IT nerd
- Kendall Kyndall as MJ Jackson, Nia’s assistant
- Morgan Walsh as Ginger Gates
- Monti Washington as Terrence Abrams, Nia’s ex boyfriend who wants to pick up where they left off when Nia moves to Los Angeles
- Shaun Robinson as Kris Kensington
- Rachel Leyco as Susie Q (A.K.A. Natasha), Laila's friend
|No.||Title ||Directed by||Written by||Original air date ||US viewers|
|1||"Pilot"||Janice Cook||Vanessa Middleton||April 23, 2019||N/A|
|2||"Lover's Moon"||Queen Naija||Nipsey Hussle||April 30, 2019||TBD|
|3||"The Drink of Kings"||TBA||TBA||May 7, 2019||TBD|
On April 17, 2018, it was announced that BET had the production a series order for a first season consisting of ten episodes. Executive producers were set to include Tracey Edmonds, Angela Burt-Murray, and Vanessa Middleton, who was also expected to act as showrunner. Production companies involved with the series were slated to consist of Edmonds Entertainment. On December 6, 2018, it was reported that Middleton would write the pilot episode of the series and serve as a co-showrunner alongside Kim Newton, who will also executive produce. On January 31, 2019, it was announced that the series had been retitled Games People Play. On April 1, 2019, it was announced that the series will premiere on April 23, 2019.
On December 6, 2018, it was announced that Lauren London, Parker McKenna Posey, and Karen Obilom had been cast in leading roles. On January 31, 2019, it was reported that Sarunas J. Jackson and Jackie Long had joined the main cast and that Barry Brewer and Kendall Kyndall would appear in a recurring capacity.
- "As One Saga Ends, Another Begins During a Monumental Tuesday Night on BET". The Futon Critic. April 1, 2019.
- Pedersen, Erik (April 17, 2018). "BET's 2018-19 Slate Features New Scripted Shows, Docuseries, Specials & More". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Games People Play – Listings". The Futon Critic. Retrieved April 24, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (January 31, 2019). "'Games People Play': Sarunas J. Jackson & Jackie Long To Star In BET Drama Series; Barry Brewer, Kendall Kyndall To Recur". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- Petski, Denise (December 6, 2018). "'Games Divas Play': Lauren London, Parker McKenna Posey & Karen Obilom To Star In Tracey Edmonds' BET Drama Series". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved December 6, 2018.
- Goldberg, Lesley (April 17, 2018). "BET Upfront Slate Features 'Dream Team,' '90s Girl Group Docuseries". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved April 17, 2018.