Games of Texas
Games of Texas logo
|Motto||"The Original State Championship of Texas"|
The Games of Texas are a series of amateur Olympic-style events held each summer and winter in the U.S. state of Texas. They are organized by the Texas Amateur Athletic Federation (TAAF) and are part of the National Congress of State Games. Medalists from the Games qualify to participate in the State Games of America, a biennial multi-sport event.
The Summer Games of Texas are held every year across multiple venues in a pre-designated city or region. The event is usually held in late July and draws more than 10,000 athletes and 15,000–20,000 spectators each year. It is the largest multi-sport event in Texas. Each year at the games, TAAF organizes the opening ceremonies, which typically include a parade of athletes and fireworks. In 2010 and 2011, the event was hosted by Waco, Texas. In 2012 and 2013, it will be hosted by Corpus Christi, Texas.
Though most "core" sports are held each year at the games, host cities will sometimes add region-specific sports to the games they host. In 2011, athletes participated in 12 sports:
- Disc Golf
- Table Tennis
As of 2011, there are ten sports in which athletes can participate at the winter games:
- "Summer Games of Texas". Texas Amateur Athletic Federation. Archived from the original on 2012-03-25. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Official Website of the National Congress of State Games". National Congress of State Games. 2011. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Britney, Britney (2010-08-06). "Games of Texas bring heated competition to Waco". Waco, Texas: KYTX. Archived from the original on 2012-03-14. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- Garcia, Laura (2011-06-10). "Summer Games of Texas scheduled for 2012, 2013 in Corpus Christi". Caller.com. Retrieved 2012-02-23.
- "Williamson County hosts state's premier annual amateur athletic competition". 2006-06-28. Archived from the original on 2011-07-10.
- "Games of Texas to celebrate opening ceremony in Waco". Waco, Texas: KXXV. 2010-08-06.
- Official announcement that Corpus Christi will be hosting TAAF Summer Games of Texas in 2012 and 2013
- TAAF Region 4 Sports
- Press Release on sports held at the 2011 Winter Games of Texas