|Inaugurated||19 August 2009|
|Organized by||Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware|
Gamescom (stylized as gamescom) is a trade fair for video games held annually at the Koelnmesse in Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is organised by the BIU (Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware, English: Federal Association of Interactive Entertainment Software). It is used by many video game developers to show off their upcoming games and game-related hardware.
Gamescom is the world's largest gaming event, (measured by exhibition space and number of visitors) with 345,000 visitors, more than 6,000 journalists and 700 exhibitors from 88 countries attending the show in its sixth year.
- 1 2009
- 2 2010
- 3 2011
- 4 2012
- 5 2013
- 6 2014
- 7 2015
- 8 2016
- 9 2017
- 10 Game Developers Conference Europe
- 11 Respawn
- 12 See also
- 13 References
- 14 External links
Gamescom 2009 was held from 19 August to 23 August. 245,000 people attended that year's visit.
Notable press conferences
Wednesday, 18 August:
Thursday, 19 August:
Sony Computer Entertainment Europe announced the PlayStation 3 Slim, a smaller and lighter model of the console and a release date of 1 September 2009. Firmware 3.0 for the PlayStation 3 was also announced, adding new features to the PlayStation Network. Sony announced that the European Video Store would launch in November 2009. Sony also announced that the PlayStation Portable would get smaller games (under 100mb) in the form of 'minis' and that comics would also be available to download in December 2009. A "free game" registration promotion was announced for the PSP Go.
Microsoft Game Studios announced Fable III, along with a release date of 2010. Also, Microsoft announced their intention to release Fable II on the Xbox Live Marketplace in five episodes, the first of which will be free to download.
While most press conferences were not available for live streaming, Electronic Arts was streaming its press conference on EA.com. Sony Computer Entertainment Europe also showcased its press conference on its online community-based service PlayStation Home shortly afterwards. Sony also made its press conference available for download on the PlayStation Store. Various gaming websites offered live-blogging of the respective press conferences.
Gamescom 2010 was held from 18 August to 22 August. 254,000 people attended that year's visit.
The two main announcements from this GamesCom came from Insomniac Games, who announced two sequels from two of their franchises: Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One, by revealing some gameplay from the game, and Resistance 3, via a live action teaser trailer. These games will be exclusive to the PlayStation 3. All 4 One has a set release date as late 2011, while Resistance 3 did not have a release date.
Gamescom 2011 was held from 17 August to 21 August. 275,000 people attended that year's visit.
Gamescom 2012 was held from 15 August to 19 August. 275,000 people attended that year's visit.
Gamescom 2013 was held from 21 August to 25 August. 340,000 people attended that year's visit.
- The First Dota 2 International Championships in 2011, the biggest prize pool of any e-sports tournament at the time
- The World Championship Series 2013 Season 2 Global Finals, a StarCraft II tournament with a $150,000 prizepool, were held during the event.
- Three League of Legends Tournaments were held during the event:
Gamescom 2014 was held from 13 August to 17 August. 335,000 people attended that year's visit.
Other Ocean Interactive
Phoenix Online Studios
- The Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Major ESL One Cologne 2014 was held at Gamescom
Gamescom 2015 was held from 5 August to 9 August. 345,000 people attended that year's visit.
Image & Form
Gamescom 2016 was held from 17 August to 21 August. 345,000 people attended that year's visit.
Gamescom 2017 will be held from 22 August to 26 August.
Game Developers Conference Europe
The Game Developers Conference Europe (GDC Europe), a European spinoff of the Game Developers Conference, is held annually in conjunction with the Gamescom and takes place at the Cologne Congress Centre East.
The Respawn conference, a game developers conference, is held annually few days before Gamescom at Cologne, Germany.
- Electronic Entertainment Expo
- Game Developers Conference
- Games Convention
- Asia Game Show
- Paris Games Week
- Tokyo Game Show
- Video gaming in Germany
- "gamescom Cologne". Trade Fair Dates. Retrieved 13 January 2016.
- BIU Gamescom information
- "Preliminary report on gamescom 2009: Cologne is ready for the premiere of the new leading European trade fair".
- "Lost Planet 2 to make PS3 debut at GamesCom". Game Zine. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "Sony confirms unveiling of new Heavy Rain character for Gamescom". Video Games Republic. 2009-08-11. Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- Namco Bandai Partners (Press release) (2009-08-07). "Namco Bandai Partners' gamescom line-up". Retrieved 2009-08-11.
- "No. Report: "Around 335,000 visitors discovered easily new worlds * World's largest event for interactive entertainment ended successfully"". gamescom.de. Retrieved 2014-09-04.
- "Rounding out Gamescom's press event highlights". Rappler. Retrieved 2014-08-20.
- "EA GamesCom 2009 Press Conference Video Archive". Archived from the original on 14 September 2010.
- "MotorStorm Swerves Into PlayStation Home; The Presentation Podium Opens Its Doors For gamescom". SCE.
- "K-game's spark in European market". Embassy of the Republic of Korea in the United States of America. 24 August 2012. Retrieved 3 October 2012.
- "WCS Season 2 Finals Begin August 23 - StarCraft II WCS".
- "Gamescom 2013 - Leaguepedia - Competitive League of Legends eSports Wiki".
- "LoL Esports".
- "Check out Nintendo's Gamescom 2015 line-up".
- Makuch, Eddie (July 18, 2016). "Dark Souls, Tekken Publisher Will Announce New IP in August". GameSpot. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Helm, Jordan (July 16, 2016). "Focus Home Interactive Unveil Gamescom 2016 Line-Up". Hardcore Gamer. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- Barrett, Ben (18 August 2016). "Elite Dangerous patch 2.2 will introduce dual flying, new space stations and aliens in October". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- Barrett, Ben (17 August 2016). "Planet Coaster release date set for November 17, cheap pre-orders end August 25". Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- Skrebels, Joe (17 August 2016). "Gamescom 2016: Konami Announces Metal Gear Survive". IGN. Retrieved 20 August 2016.
- "Konami announces demo launch date and releases new trailer for PES 2017". gamereactor.com. 17 August 2016. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- Greenberg, Aaron (July 13, 2016). "Xbox at gamescom 2016". Microsoft Studios. Retrieved July 19, 2016.
- "Green Man Gaming At Gamescom 2016 – Green Man Gaming Blog". www.greenmangaming.com. Retrieved 2016-08-15.
- "A couple of fun reveals coming soon for Injustice 2".
- "Game Developers Conference Europe - 15-16 August 2016 - Cologne, Germany".
- "About Respawn".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gamescom.|
- Official website (English) (German)
- Bundesverband Interaktive Unterhaltungssoftware
- GDC Europe