Nickname(s): Gateway to Mallig Plains
Mother Town of the 2nd District of IsabelaOldest Town of Mallig Plains
Map of Isabela showing the location of Gamu
|Region||Cagayan Valley (Region II)|
|District||2nd District of Isabela|
|• Mayor||Nestor Malasig Uy|
|• Vice Mayor||Fernando Ocampo Cumigad|
|• Total||129.40 km2 (49.96 sq mi)|
|• Density||220/km2 (570/sq mi)|
|Demonym(s)||Gamueño (m) / Gamueña (f)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th class; rural|
Gamu is a fourth class municipality in the province of Isabela, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it had a population of 28,657 people. While not a commercially thriving town, it lies near Ilagan City and Cauayan, communities with banks, hospitals, and places of entertainment.
The municipality is the site of the 5th Infantry Division of Philippine Army as its infantry unit in Northern Luzon. The Infantry is located in Barangay Upi of this town headed by General Joel P. Ibañez.
Gamu is located in the central part of the Province of Isabela. It is approximately 10 kilometers away from the Provincial Capitol of Isabela and about 395 kilometers from the National Capital City of the Philippines, Manila.
It is bounded on the north by the city of Ilagan, or the northwest by the municipality of Quirino, on the south by the municipality of Reina Mercedes and on the southwest by the municipality of Burgos, and on the Southeast by the municipality of Naguilian.
Gamu has a total land area of 129.40 square kilometers with 16 barangays, 3 of which are classified as urban barangays, District I, II and III, and the rests are considered rural barangays.
|Barangay||Population (as of May 1, 2010)||Economic Class|
|District I (Pob.)||1,033||Urban|
|District II (Pob.)||1,924||Urban|
|District III (Pob.)||2,603||Urban|
|16 Barangays||28,657||13 Rural Barangays; 3 Urban Barangays|
|Population census of Gamu|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
- Saint Rose of Lima Church in Barangay District 1
- Saint Michael the Archangel Cathedral in Barangay Upi
- Our Lady of Visitation of Guibang is a national shrine in Barangay Guibang
- St. Clare Monastery in Barangay Guibang
The town celebrated the Kuliglig festival on August 23, 2013 following an executive order issued by the Municipal Government of Gamu, Isabela.
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 11 September 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Province: ISABELA". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 9 January 2014.
- "Facts and Figures of Gamu, Isabela". Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Philippine Army Band to play during procession of Our Lady of Guibang in Gamu, Isabela, on July 1". Inquirer Lifestyle. June 23, 2013. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- Commission on Elections "Gamu, Isabela - Election Results 2013" Check
|url=scheme (help). Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Municipality of Gamu
- Local Governance Performance Management System