Gandhi Mandapam (Chennai)
Gandhi Mandapam is a series of memorial structures built on the arterial Sardar Patel Road, in Adyar, Chennai. Although it is referred singularly as Gandhi Mandapam, the complex comprises four other memorials of people of eminence such as Rettamalai Srinivasan, Rajaji, Kamaraj and Minjur Bhaktavatsalam. The most prominent of the structures is, however, the Gandhi Mandapam which is dedicated to Mahatma Gandhi. It is built in a temple style and is the largest of the memorials in the complex.
The first structure to be built on the premises is the famous Gandhi Mandapam, opened by Rajaji on 27 January 1956. His memorial was also built in the same compound in 1975. Kamaraj memorial was built in the following year 1976 and the event was presided by the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
This is the place where the urn containing the ashes of Mahatma Gandhi was kept before a portion of which was immersed in the three seas. The exemplary temple is located near to the Kumari Amman Temple and is one of the most picturesque spots in Kanyakumari. The temple is build in such a way that on October 2, the birth date of Mahatma Gandhi, the rays of sun fall exactly on the spot where the urn containing the ashes is kept.
Several proposals to enhance the aesthetics of the memorials are being discussed. The site also serves as a recreational park in the city.
- "gandhi mandapam". wikimapia. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "gandhi mandapam for a fresh look". The Hindu. 7-6-2007. Retrieved 2012-07-07. Check date values in:
- T. Ramakrishnan (7-8-2008). "Gandhi Mandapam set for new look". The Hindu. Retrieved 2012-07-07. Check date values in:
- "Chennai today". The Hindu. 2012-06-29. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "gandhi mandapam". chennainetwork. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- "Gandhi Mandapam to be spruced up at Rs.11.61-cr.". The Hindu. 2012-04-21. Retrieved 2012-07-07.