Gandhi Nagar, Chennai
This article does not cite any sources. (April 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gandhi Nagar is a neighbourhood in Adyar, in the southern part of the Indian city of Chennai. It is bordered by the Adyar River, Kasturba Nagar, Indira Nagar and the Buckingham canal. Today Gandhi Nagar is a commercial hot spot having relatively good transport and other facilities.
Gandhi Nagar has more than 150 years of history. The most oldest things in Gandhi Nagar are the Pilliar Kovil and the St. Patrick's School. It was established as 'Gandhi Gram' in January 1948, just a week before Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated. Gandhi Nagar is one of the earliest planned layouts in the erstwhile Madras with more than 322 housing plots, underground drainage systems and broad roads. The neighborhood began its transformation towards becoming a residential locality around 1949 when the first residents are believed to have moved in.
Gandhi Nagar Society
The first residential (non academic) inhabitants are people from a tiny town called Sadhuranga pattinam (சதுரங்கப்பட்டினம்) or Sadras as it is called. They came from Chengulpet to Gandhi Nagar via Buckingham canal via boats that was propelled by wind under favorable conditions or the boats were pulled by humans with rope from boat tied to their waist. At that time in 1942, Gandhi Nagar had lush paddy fields and was used for agriculture and was bordered by Guindy forest (which has almost disappeared now).
The Alwaris family is said to be the first family who resided in Gandhi Nagar. The next was the family of Mudaliar Brothers. The Mudaliar Brothers consisted of Mr. S.K. Ramachandra Mudaliar and Mr. S.K.Puniyakoti Mudaliar. They worked in Triplicane, but bought vast lands in Gandhi Nagar as their building construction flourished. In one of their lands stands the old cancer institute, which was donated by Mr. S.K. Puniyakoti Mudaliar.
Mr. Puniyakoti Mudaliar built first independent flats in Gandhi Nagar. The Mudaliar brothers construction industry recruited people from Sathurangapattinam (Sadras), the first workers settled on banks of Adyar River, this settlement was later called Malligai Poo Nagar.
Malligai Poo Nagar (மல்லிகை பூ நகர்)
The Mudaliar Brothers (S.K.Ramachandra Mudaliar and S.K.Puniyakoti Mudaliar) were building contractors. They needed manpower to execute their projects. Hence people (primarily from Sathurangapattinam) were bought in. They settled on the banks of Adyar river. The laborer settlement attracted more people, thus a community was formed and was named Malligai Poo Nagar which means jasmine flower settlement.
Gandhi Nagar Library
Modern Gandhi Nagar
Gandhi Nagar today is a hot spot in city having many businesses and hotels.
- Kolam Serviced Apartments, 51, 2nd Main Road, Gandhi Nagar
- MAVY Physiotherapy Group, 2nd Main Road, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar
- The Grand Sweets and Snacks - Located on 2nd Main Road is 'the' star attraction of Gandhi Nagar. Although these days, the traffic congestion caused by this and other business are adding to the nuisance value.
- Sri Krishna Sweets
- Sri Lakshmi Systems - Computerised Astrological Services - 49, 2nd Main Road, Gandhi Nagar
- Spencer's Daily
- Sangeetha's Desi Destination - Vegetarian Restaurant
- Odyssey - Books and gifts
- Nuts and Spices
- Cup and Saucer
- Kaya Skin Clinic
- Basics - Men's wear showroom
- Kumarakom - Kerala cuisine restaurant
- Munveedu - Restaurant
- Ravi's Executive Parlour - Men's stylist & hairdresser
- Adyar Ananda Bhavan
- McDonald's -Located near naihaa first main road
- Bata - Footwear sales
- Universal - Gadget sales
- JFA -Furniture store
- Ramonds - Apparel
- @home - Home products . Located near Spencers daily at first main road.
- Code interesteR - Coding school
Temples & Religious Institutions
- Sri Anantha Padmanabhaswami Temple
- St. Louis Church
- Sundara Vinayagar Temple
- Mookambikai Amman temple
- Durgai amman temple
- Shirdi Sai Baba temple
- Alwaris family
- S.K.Ramachandra Mudaliar
- S.K.Puniyakoti Mudaliar
- Dr. Padma Subrahmanyam
- Anandha Vikatan S.Balasubramaniyan
- Komal Anbarasan
- Justice Jagadhesan
- Advocate Gandhi
- Musician T Mukta
- St Patrick's
- St Michael's Academy
- Kumararrajah Muthiah Higher Secondary School
- Kumari Rani Meena Muthiah College of Arts and Science
- Kumari Rani Meena Muthiah Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Rani Meiyammai
- Bala Vidya Mandir Senior Secondary School
- St. Mark's School