Ganesh Venkatraman at the 62nd Filmfare Awards South, 2015
Nisha Krishnan (m. 2015)
Ganesh Venkatraman is an Indian actor who has acted in six different Indian regional film industries. He had acted in Radha Mohan's Abhiyum Naanum (2008), before working in Unnaipol Oruvan (2009) and Kandahar (2010).
Ganesh began his acting career by appearing in television serials including Antariksh and Mayavi, which was first 3D serial in Tamil television. He made his film début with The Angrez (2006), an experimental crossover film shot in Hyderabadi Urdu but could not garner any further film offers immediately. Subsequently, he made his début in Tamil cinema with Radha Mohan's family drama, Abhiyum Naanum (2008). Ganesh successfully auditioned for the role in Mumbai, by turning up dressed as the Sikh character in the film, prompting the makers to believe that he actually was a Punjabi. Portraying as Trisha's Punjabi fiancé, his role received critical acclaim and the film performed well at the box office. After working with Prakash Raj in his second film, Ganesh got several further offers to appear in supporting roles in films starring veteran actors. He appeared as a police officer, working alongside Kamal Haasan, Mohanlal and Venkatesh in the bilingual film Unnaipol Oruvan (2009), while he then portrayed an army general in Major Ravi's war film Kandahar, where he appeared with Mohanlal and Amitabh Bachchan. He also shot and completed a thriller film titled Muriyadi with Sathyaraj by Selva, but the film failed to have a theatrical release owing to Kavithalayaa Productions' financial troubles. During the period, Ganesh also opted out of another multi-starrer Mankatha (2011), and instead chose to work on another bilingual Tamil and Hindi film, Panithuli (2012), in a solo lead role. Shot entirely in the US, the film opened to negative reviews and performed poorly at the box office. Furthermore, he appeared with another veteran actor, Nagarjuna, during the making of Damarukam (2012), which became his first straight Telugu film.
Ganesh worked on three projects in 2013, prioritising his work on Tamil cinema. He appeared in Sundar C's bilingual film, Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru in a supporting role of an office worker, while he was seen as a police officer in the action film, Ivan Veramathiri. He also portrayed the role of a prince in Roopa Iyer's Kannada and Tamil bilingual film, Chandra, and revealed that he signed on after hearing that Shriya Saran would be portraying the lead role. Ganesh subsequently worked on a few low budget films, the psychological thriller Achaaram (2015) and the drama Pallikoodam Pogamale (2015), both of which had low key theatrical releases. During the same year, he also portrayed a supporting role in Mohan Raja's Thani Oruvan (2015), which went on to become a blockbuster at the box office. His following his releases have fared less well with Thodari (2016) and Nayaki (2016), where he portrayed the antagonist, earning negative reviews and performing poorly at the box office. Likewise, neither of his subsequent investigative thriller films Inayathalam (2017) or 7 Naatkal (2017) were able to perform well commercially. For his role in Inayathalam, Ganesh spent time with the Chennai cyber-crime division to prepare for his character.
Ganesh will next appear as a supporting cast in Vanangamudi (2018) as a police officer alongside Aravind Swamy. His long-delayed Hindi film, Guns of Benaras, where he stars alongside Vinod Khanna, is also expected to have a theatrical release in late 2017.
Prior to acting, Ganesh Venkatraman was a successful model and had been chosen Gladrags Mr. India 2003 and been a representative for India in Mr. World 2004. In September 2014, Ganesh made his debut as a television host by presenting the reality game show Vendhar Veetu Kalyanam on Vendhar TV. He later appeared in the reality show Achcham Thavir by Star Vijay. In 2017, he took part as a contestant in the Bigg Boss reality show hosted by Kamal Haasan, and finished as the show's third runner up. During his stint on the show, Ganesh's character was widely appreciated by audiences for his gentlemanly behaviour, genuineness and credibility. As a result, he received more opportunities as an actor, brand ambassador and as a public speaker after his time on the show.
|2006||The Angrez||Rochak Suddala||Hyderabadi Urdu|
|2008||Abhiyum Naanum||Joginder Singh||Tamil|
|2009||Unnaipol Oruvan||Arif Khan||Tamil||Edison Award for Best Supporting Actor|
|2013||Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru||George||Tamil|
|Ivan Veramathiri||DCP Aravindan||Tamil|
|2014||Tum Ho Yaara||Shiva||Hindi||Hindi version of Panithuli|
|2015||Thani Oruvan||Shakthi IPS||Tamil|
|2015||Pallikoodam Pogamale||DCP Ganesh Venkatram||Tamil|
|2017||7 Naatkal||Sai Prasad||Tamil|
|2018||My Story||David Eapen||Malayalam||Santhosham Award for Best Villain|
|2006||Antariksh - Ek Amar Katha||Star Plus||Amar||Hindi|
|2014||Vendhar Veetu Kalyanam||Vendhar TV||Anchor||Tamil|
|2016||Achcham Thavir||Star Vijay||Himself||Tamil|
|2017||Bigg Boss||Star Vijay||Himself||Tamil|
|2020||Zee Cine Awards||Zee Tamil||Guest||Tamil|
- Nadadhur, Srivathsan (20 September 2015). "Ganesh Venkatraman is in an ideal space". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- Manigandan, K. R. (11 August 2012). "Panithuli - Plot with many loopholes". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Nag Praises Ganesh Venkatraman!". Behindwoods.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "2013 is Ganesh Venkatraman's year". Newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "'Thani Oruvan' is 'biggest hit' in Jayam Ravi's career". Indianexpress.com. 8 September 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- Nadadhur, Srivathsan (15 July 2016). "Nayaki: A futile effort". Thehindu.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- jalapathy (22 September 2016). "Rail - Movie Review". Telugucinema.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Review : Inayathalam review: An amateurish attempt that is worth a (2017)". Sify.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Ganesh Venkatraman spent time with Chennai cyber-crime division to prepare for Inayathalam". Bollywoodlife.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Ganesh hopes for a turnaround". Newindianexpress.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "As long as the work excites me, the platform is irrelevant". Times of India. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Actor Ganesh Venkatraman - Tamil Movie Actors Interview - Unnaipol Oruvan Abiyum Naanum Angrez - Behindwoods.com". behindwoods.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Ganesh Venkatraman makes his TV debut". Times of India. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "I am in a happy phase: Ganesh Venkatraman". Deccanchronicle.com. 13 November 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "Ganesh Venkatraman's wedding date is fixed for the 22nd November". Behindwoods.com. 4 November 2015. Retrieved 31 December 2017.
- "- Tamil Movie News". IndiaGlitz.com. Retrieved 31 December 2017.