Gang Leader (2019 film)
|Nani's Gang Leader|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vikram Kumar|
|Produced by||Naveen Yerneni|
Y. Ravi Sankar
|Written by||Yesteen R|
Venkat D. Pati
Priyanka Arul Mohan
|Music by||Anirudh Ravichander|
|Cinematography||Miroslaw Kuba Brozek|
|Edited by||Naveen Nooli|
|Distributed by||Sarigama Cinemas (North America)|
Gang Leader is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language action comedy film produced by Naveen Yerneni, Y. Ravi Sankar and Mohan Cherukuri under banner of Mythri Movie Makers and directed by Vikram Kumar. The film stars Nani with Lakshmi, Saranya Ponvannan, Priyanka Arul Mohan, Shriya Reddy, Praanya P. Rao, Kartikeya Gummakonda, Priyadarshi Pulikonda, and Vennela Kishore in pivotal roles. The music is composed by Anirudh Ravichander. In this film, 5 women seek the help of a crime novelist to avenge the death of their loved ones.
The film was released on 13 September 2019, after being pushed back from previously scheduled release date of 30 August 2019. Nani's gang leader received mixed reviews from the critics.
Pencil Parthasarathy is the character name of hero and he is a small-time crime novel writer who watches popular English language movies and rewrites their stories as Telugu novels. Meanwhile, a great robbery takes place in the city where ₹ 300 crores are stolen by 5 individuals. As soon as the robbery is finished, the 5 are found murdered and the money stolen.
5 sorrowful women (1 aged woman, 1 middle aged woman, 1 young woman, 1 teen and 1 small child) who lost their loved ones (the 5 dead robbers) come together and try to find someone who would help them avenge their loved ones. They approach Pencil to help them figure out the culprit. Pencil, at first, refuses to help them but sensing a good (and probably his first) original story, agrees to help them.
After a few hilarious twists and turns, the rag tag group finally narrows down on their main suspect: Dev.
Dev is a small time ambulance driver turned F1 Racer. As an ambulance driver, Dev never lost a patient due to his skilled and prompt driving of patients to the hospital. However, in order to become a successful race car driver, he needed money. In order to get the money, he joined a group of cancer patients (the original five) who were planning on a robbery to set aside money for their loved ones (the 5 women). After the robbery, Dev kills the 5 men and steals the money and becomes a successful race car driver. Pencil becomes gang leader of those 5 women and decides to take revenge.
In turn of events, Dev comes to know about Pencil and the women, but Pencil outsmarts him. In the end, Pencil and Dev engage in a fight, where Pencil kills Dev by pulling a car on him, and burning his body later. It is revealed in the end that Pencil had also lost his childhood pet, Sravani, on the same day the 5 women lost their loved ones. Pencil publishes his very first original book and dedicates it to all 5 women, along with his pet dog Sravani. Also, Pencil marries Priya and lives happily ever after with the remaining 4 women, considering them his own family.
- Nani as Pencil Parthasarathy
- Priyanka Arul Mohan as Priya
- Lakshmi as Saraswathi
- Kartikeya Gummakonda as Dev
- Saranya Ponvannan as Varalakshmi
- Shriya Reddy as Swathi
- Praanya P. Rao as Chinnu
- Anish Kuruvilla as Inspector
- Vennela Kishore as Santoor Senakkayala
- Priyadarshi Pulikonda as Parthasarathy's friend/Book publisher
- Sathya as Dev's former colleague
- Vivek K Kumar as RTO Officer
- Sukumar as himself a guest appearances
|Soundtrack album by|
|Studio||Albuquerque Records, Chennai|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Anirudh Ravichander chronology|
|1.||"Ra Ra (Roar of the Revengers)"||Anantha Sriram||Prudhvi Chandra, BasherMax||04:05|
|2.||"Hoyna Hoyna"||Anantha Sriram, Inno Genga||Inno Genga||04:52|
|3.||"Ninnu Chuse Anandamlo"||Anantha Sriram||Sid Sriram||05:33|
|4.||"Gang-u Leader"||Anantha Sriram||Anirudh Ravichander||03:28|
Marketing and release
Behindwoods gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Gang Leader is an inventive, wildly entertaining comedy with a great ensemble performance.".
Great Andhra gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Vikram Kumar’s flat narration has made it a dull affair. “Nani’s Gang Leader” is the weakest movie in Vikram's career so far".
Indian Express gave 2.5 out of 5 stars stating "Gang Leader has its moments, thanks to Nani's effortless presence. He keeps the scenes lively and bright. It is not a bad film but that doesn't mean it is outstanding either".
- "GANG LEADER". British Board of Film Classification.
- "Nani's Gang Leader with Vikram K Kumar has THIS Chiranjeevi connection". Filmfare. 26 February 2019. Retrieved 13 July 2019.
- "Nani, Vikram Kumar team up for new film Gang Leader, watch video". The Hindustan Times. 25 February 2019.
- "Mythri Movie Makers". Mythri Movie Makers on Twitter. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
- Mythri Movie Makers (23 July 2019), "Nani's Gang Leader Teaser - Karthikeya - Vikram Kumar - Anirudh Ravichander - Mythri Movie Makers", YouTube, retrieved 19 August 2018
- "Meet 'Pencil', Nani's character in Gang Leader". The Hindu. 24 July 2019. Retrieved 25 May 2019.
- "Gang Leader Movie Review : Gang Leader shines in parts but is let down by a haphazard screenplay". TimesofIndia.
- "GANG LEADER MOVIE REVIEW". Behindwoods.
- "Nani's Gang Leader Review: Unsharpened Pencil". GreatAndhra.
- "Gang Leader movie review: A okayish film saved by Nani's performance". IndianExpress.