Gangadhar Meher University
|"ଗଙ୍ଗାଧର ମେହେର ବିଶ୍ୱବିଦ୍ୟାଳୟ"|
|Established||1944 (as college), 2015 (as university)|
|President||Mr. Rupesh Kumar Sahu|
|Vice-Chancellor||Prof. Sudhansu Sekhar Rath|
|Principal||Mr. Purbandar Dharua, OAS|
|Location||Sambalpur, Odisha, India|
|Website||GM University website|
Gangadhar Meher University (Odia: ଗଙ୍ଗାଧର ମେହେର ବିଶ୍ୱବିଦ୍ୟାଳୟ) is a co-educational NAAC-A state university situated in Sambalpur, Odisha, India. It is named after the illustrious Odia poet, Gangadhar Meher.
About the University
The University was established as college n 1944 as Sambalpur College in Sambalpur, Odisha. The name of the institution was changed to Gangadhar Meher College in 1949. Earlier it was popularly known as Gangadhar Meher (Autonomous) College, and was affiliated to Sambalpur University. This college was accredited 'A' by NAAC on 11 May 2015 by the UGC team. It was upgraded to a university in 2015, and now it has been renamed as Gangadhar Meher University. The university offers undergraduate, postgraduate, Master of Philosophy and self financing courses.
From a small student strength of 192 in 1944, the college has made rapid strides and has grown into a multi-faculty postgraduate college, catering to the needs of about 4500 students. It provides teaching facility in 19 subjects at the undergraduate level and four subjects at the M.Phil. courses. Besides the conventional streams of study in humanities, science and commerce, this institution has introduced courses in still photography, audio production and textile science. The college also offers computer courses at B. Sc. and M. Sc. levels, including M.C.A .(Master in Computer Applications). The college has opened some career oriented courses like P.G. Diploma in Bio-Informatics, B.B.A., M.B.A. and B.Sc. Information Science and Telecommunication from the academic session 2003-2004. The relevance of these courses in general terms and within the specific context of a backward part of the country is undeniably significant. This college has also been identified as a center to upgrade the merit of SC/ST/Minority/OBC students through different schemes, functioning since 2007-2008.
The college has been functioning as an Autonomous College since 1991 and is managed and controlled by statutory and non-statutory bodies, as prescribed by the University Grants Commission. The autonomy of this institution has been extended up to 2013-2014 by the UGC letter No.:-F.22-1/2009(AC)/April 2009, based on its academic reputation, co-curricular activities, quality of institutional management and responsiveness of administrative structure.The college has been identified as a 'College with Potential for Excellence' (CPE ) by the U.G.C. since 2004-05 and it has been extended up to end of XI Plan period. It is also NAAC accredited with a B Grade since February 28, 2005. This institution is fully committed to its aims and goals and taking good care of students.
There are four types of courses in the college.
- U.G. courses
- P.G. courses
- M.Phil. courses
- M.C.A. courses
Admission into U.G. courses
The minimum eligibility for admission into the U.G. (B.A./B.Sc./B.Com.) Hons. courses is that the applicant must have passed +2 level exam with 40% marks in aggregate excluding 4th optional). Students are admitted through e-admission qualifying examination.
Admission into P.G. courses
The minimum eligibility to apply for M.Sc. courses is that the applicant should have passed with honours and have secured 50% of marks in the concerned honours subjects (45% for SC/ST students), whereas for M.A. courses, it is 45% in the commerce honours subject.
Admission into M. Phil. courses
The minimum eligibility to apply for M. Phil. courses is that the applicant must have secured 50% of marks in the postgraduate subject concerned. They are selected on the basis of marks obtained in the previous qualifying examinations. Minimum eligibility for professional courses:
- B.Sc.IST:+2 science with physics or mathematics and minimum 45% marks in aggregate.
- Any graduate:
Admission into M.C.A. courses
Students are selected from a state level Joint Entrance Examination. This examination is conducted by B.P.U.T. (Biju Pattnaik University of Technology).
Gangadhar Meher College (Autonomous), Sambalpur has the following committees to ensure the proper management of academic, financial and general administrative affairs.
The statutory bodies are:
The constitution of this committee is in accordance with the guidelines of UGC for Autonomous Colleges. The Executive Committee was reconstituted by the Department of Higher Education, Govt. of Odisha in August, 2002 with the following functionaries for a period of two years. The present Executive Committee was constituted by the Notification No. IHE-AC-21/05-17387/5.4.2007.
'Functions:' The Executive Committee has the following powers:
- Fixation of the fees and other charges payable by the students of the college on the recommendations of the Finance Committee.
- Instituting scholarships, fellowships, studentships, medals, prizes and certificates on the recommendations of the Academic Council.
- Approving institution of new programs of study leading to degrees or diplomas.
- Perform such other functions and institute committees, as may be necessary and deemed fit for the proper development and fulfillment of the objectives for which the college has been declared as autonomous.
The Academic Council (AC) is solely responsible for all academic matters such as framing of academic policy, approval of courses, regulations, and syllabus.
|1.||The Principal (Chairman)|
|2.||All the Heads of Departments of the college|
|3.||Four teachers of the college, representing different categories of teaching staff by rotation on the basis of seniority of service in the college|
|4.||Not less than four experts from outside the college, representing such areas as industry, commerce, law, education, medicine, and engineering to be nominated by the Executive Committee|
|5.||Three nominees of the university|
|6.||A faculty member nominated by the principal (member secretary)|
Terms of members
The term of each nominated member is two years.
- Scrutinize and approve the proposals with or without modification of the Boards of Studies with regards to courses of study, the academic regulations, curricula, syllabus and modifications there of, instructional and evaluation arrangements, methods, procedures relevant thereto etc., provided that where the Academic Council differs on any proposal, it will have a right to return the matter for consideration to the Board of Studies concerned or reject it, after giving reasons to do so.
- Make regulations regarding the admission of students to different programs of study in the college.
- Make regulations for sports, extra-curricular activities, proper maintenance and functioning of the playgrounds and hostels.
- Recommend to the Executive Committee proposals for institution of new programs of study.
- Recommend to the Executive Committee, institution of scholarships, studentship fellowship, prizes and medals and to frame regulations for the award of the same.
- Advise the Executive Committee on suggestions pertaining to academic affairs
- Perform such other functions as may be assigned by the Executive Committee
Board of Studies
The Board of Studies is the basic constituent of the academic system of this college. Its function includes, among others, making rules and regulations and syllabi for various courses, reviewing and updating syllabi from time to time, introducing new courses of study, determining details of continuous assessment, and recommending panels of examiners.
The Chairman of the Board of Studies may, with the approval of the Principal of the college,
- Co-opt experts from outside the college whenever special courses of studies are formulated
- Co-opt other members of staff of the same faculty
Terms of Members The term of the nominated members is for the period of two years.
Meeting The Principal of the college draws a schedule for meeting of the Board of Studies for different departments as and when necessary but at least once in a year.
Functions The Board of Studies of the department in the college :-
- Prepare syllabi for various courses keeping in view the objectives of the college interest of the stakeholders and the national as well as regional requirement for consideration and approval of the Academic Council.
- Suggest methodology for innovative teaching and evaluation techniques. .
- Suggest panel of names to the Academic Council for appointment of examiners.
- Co-ordinate research, teaching extension and other academic activities in the department/college.