Seocho-dong public toilet murder case
The memorial place in gate of exit 10 in Gangnam Station on May 20, 2016.
|Native name||서초동 화장실 살인사건|
|Date||May 17, 2016|
|Time||01:07 a.m. (KST)|
|Location||Seocho-dong, Seocho-gu, Seoul, South Korea|
one person killed
The Seocho-dong public toilet murder case, commonly Gangnam murder case occurred at public toilet of a karaoke bar in Seocho-gu, Seoul, South Korea on May 17th, 2016. A 34-year-old man stabbed to death a woman he had never met before, and later claimed that he did so out of his hatred for women as they had ignored and humiliated him all his life. The police later refuted his claims and said the incident was not a hate crime against women, as claimed, but one driven by mental illness.
According to The Economist, "Although the police have tentatively concluded that the murder was not a hate crime—the suspect was diagnosed with schizophrenia in 2008, and had been in psychiatric care as recently as last year—the man’s explanation to the police that he 'hated women for belittling him' has stunned South Koreans. He had never met the victim before. Apparently, security footage suggests that he passed over six men who entered the unisex toilets before singling her out, simply, it seems, because she was a woman."
The incident resulted in innumerable anti-misogyny protests both offline and online. After May 17, 2016, the gate of exit 10 in Gangnam Station became the central mourning site and witnessed hundreds placing post-it notes, flowers and other items in memoriam. Other cities like Daegu, Daejeon and Busan too witnessed the setting up of similar memorial sites. Very soon in the aftermath of the incident, as a consequence of the incident, the government initiated some steps to ensure women do not become victims of violent crimes.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Memorials for the victim of Gangnam murder case.|
- "주점 화장실에서 20대 여성 살해한 피의자 검거" [Police arrested a suspect in a murder of woman in her 20s at the bar public toilet]. Seocho Police Station (in Korean). 2016-05-18. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "강남 묻지마 살인, 정신질환자 전형적 범죄…'女가 괴롭혀' 망상(종합)" [Gangnam indiscriminate murder, typical crime of a mental patient … ‘woman assaulted me’ suspect said that in delusional mind (general)]. Yonhap News (in Korean). 2016-05-22. Retrieved 2016-06-05.
- "Pink elephant's 'Zootopia' protest aggravates Gangnam murder controversy". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "Gangnam murder was not a hate crime: police". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "The Economist explains: Why South Korea is worrying about the position of women". The Economist. May 26, 2016. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "Mourners crowd Gangnam Station exit 10 to mourn murder victim : National : News : The Hankyoreh". English.hani.co.kr. Retrieved June 6, 2016.
- "[FROM THE SCENE] Korean women respond to Gangnam murder case". The Korea Herald. 2016-05-19. Retrieved 2016-06-06.
- "Women's groups slam crime prevention plan". Koreaherald.com. Retrieved June 6, 2016.