The Gangneung Oval (Korean: 강릉 스피드 스케이팅 경기장) is a speed skating oval in South Korea, which will used for the speed skating competitions at the 2018 Winter Olympics. The building of the oval was started in September 2013. The venue will consist of a double track 400 m rink and has a capacity of 8000 seats. It has three floors aboveground and two underground levels. The original plan was to build the venue at the Gangneung Science Park, but because there was limited space due to the number of local businesses taking the opportunity to relocate, the oval will be built in the Gangneung Olympic Park, in the vicinity of the Gangneung Ice Arena and Gangneung Hockey Centre.
Construction of the facility was started on October 29, 2014. The speed skating rink was delivered by January 2017, in time for the first event in February: 2017 World Single Distance Speed Skating Championships.
- Artificial image of the coming arena
- "General Overview of Competition Venues". July 6, 2012. Retrieved 12 November 2012.
- "Pyeongchang Volume 2" (PDF). Newhorizons. Retrieved October 5, 2012.
- "Pyeongchang 2018 move venue for Opening and Closing Ceremonies". July 6, 2012. Retrieved 28 August 2012.
- Ground broken on new speed skating rink for PyeongChang 2018 - International Olympic Committee - 29/10/2014
|This article about a sports venue in South Korea is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Olympics-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|