This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Location in Odisha, India
|• Collector & District Magistrate||Shri Vijay Amruta Kulange, IAS|
|• SP of Ganjam Police District||Shri Brijesh Kumar Rai, IPS|
|• SP of Berhampur Police District||Shri Pinak Mishra, IPS|
|• Total||8,070.6 km2 (3,116.1 sq mi)|
|• Density||429/km2 (1,110/sq mi)|
|• Official||Odia, English|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
761 xxx / 760 xxx
|Vehicle registration||OD-07(for Ganjam)|
OD-32 (for Bhanjanagar)
|Sex ratio||981 ♂/♀|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Berhampur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||13|
|Precipitation||1,295.6 millimetres (51.01 in)|
Berhampur Municipal Corporation
Hinjilicut Municipal Council
01. Aska N.A.C.
02. Belaguntha N.A.C.
03. Bhanjanagar N.A.C.
04. Buguda N.A.C.
05. Chhatrapur N.A.C.
06. Chikiti N.A.C.
07. Digapahandi N.A.C.
08. Ganjam N.A.C.
09. Gopalpur N.A.C.
10. Kabisuryanagar N.A.C.
11. Khallikote N.A.C.
12. Kodala N.A.C.
13. Polasara N.A.C.
14. Purushottampur N.A.C.
15. Rambha N.A.C.
16. Surada N.A.C.
|Police Stations:||* Ganjam Police District – 24 Police Stations|
* Berhampur Police District – 14 Police Stations
|This article is part of a series on|
The district headquarters is Chhatrapur. Ganjam is divided into three sub-divisions Chhatrapur, Berhampur, and Bhanjanagar. The Imperial Gazetteer of India 1908 lists Ganjam, along with the Thanjavur and South Canara districts, as the three districts of the Madras Presidency where Brahmins were most numerous. As of 2011 it is the most populous district of Odisha (out of 30).
Ganjam district is one of the oldest administrative units of Odisha. It was part of Madras presidency during British rule.
The 23 Tahasils in Ganjam district under three sub-divisions are listed in the following table.
The 22 Blocks in Ganjam district under three sub-divisions are listed in the following table.
|#||Chhatrapur Sub-Division||Berhampur Sub-Division||Bhanjanagar Sub-Division|
An important contributor to the local economy is production of extracts from Ganjam Kewda Rooh, which are used in perfumery.
Since Ganjam is a coastal district, it is well equipped with Port facilities. Port at Gopalpur and nearby industries cater economic activities of the district and Odisha state.
According to the 2011 census Ganjam district has a population of 3,520,151, roughly equal to the nation of Lithuania or the US state of Connecticut. This gives it a ranking of 83rd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 429 inhabitants per square kilometre (1,110/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001–2011 was 11.37%. Ganjam has a sex ratio of 983 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 71.88%.
Vidhan sabha constituencies
|No.||Constituency||Reservation||Extent of the Assembly Constituency (Blocks)||Member of 16th Assembly||Party|
|123||Bhanjanagar||None||Bhanjanagar (NAC), Bhanjanagar, Jagannathprasad||Bikram Keshari Arukha||BJD|
|124||Polasara||None||Buguda (NAC), Polasara (NAC), Buguda, Polasara||Srikanta Sahu||BJD|
|125||Kabisuryanagar||None||Kabisuryanagar (NAC), Kodala (NAC), Beguniapada, Kabisuryanagar (part), Purusottampur (part)||Smt. Latika Pradhan||BJD|
|126||Khalikote||SC||Khalikote(NAC), Purusottampur (NAC), Khalikote, Purusottampur (part)||Smt. Suryamani Baidya||BJD|
|127||Chhatrapur||SC||Chhatrapur (NAC), Ganjam (NAC), Rambha (NAC), Ganjam, Chhatrapur||Subash Chandra Pradhan||BJD|
|128||Aska||None||Aska (NAC), Aska, Kabisuryanagar (part)||Smt. Manjula Swain||BJD|
|129||Surada||None||Surada (NAC), Belaguntha (NAC), Surada, Belaguntha,||Purna Chandra Swain||BJD|
|130||Sanakhemundi||None||Sanakhemundi, Dharakote||Ramesh Chandra Jena||INC|
|131||Hinjili||None||Hinjilicut (NAC), Hinjilicut, Hinjili Sheragada||Naveen Patnaik||BJD|
|132||Gopalpur||None||Gopalpur (NAC), Rangailunda, Kukudakhandi (part), Berhampur (M) (part)||Pradeep Kumar Panigrahy||BJD|
|133||Berhampur||None||Berhampur (Municipal Corporation) (Part),||Bikram Kumar Panda||BJD|
|134||Digapahandi||None||Digapahandi (NAC), Digapahandi, Kukudakhandi (Part)||Surjya Narayana Patro||BJD|
|135||Chikiti||None||Chikiti (NAC), Chikiti Block, Patrapur Block||Smt. Usha Devi||BJD|
Lok Sabha constituencies
Berhampur seat earlier Ganjam (Lok Sabha constituency) exist in 1952 and 1957 general elections as two seat constituency and Chatarpur (Lok Sabha constituency) exist in 1962, 1967 and 1971 general elections and later Berhanpur seat exist since 1977 general elections.
People from Ganjam district
- Kabi Samrat Upendra Bhanja, Poet
- Kavisurya Baladev Rath, Poet
- V.V. Giri, former President of India
- Sashi Bhusan Rath, Social reformer & Politician
- Biswanath Das, former Governor of Uttar Pradesh and former Chief Minister of Odisha
- Binayak Acharya, former Chief Minister of Odisha
- Aneppu Parasuramdas Patro: Justice Party leader and Education Minister in the Raja of Panagal Government
- Naveen Patnaik : The current & 14th Chief Minister of Odisha , is also MLA(Member of Legislative Assembly) from Hinjilicut , Ganjam District, Odisha.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Maltby, T.J.; Leman, G.D. (1882). The Ganjam District Manual (in Indonesian). W.H. Moore, Lawrence Asylum Press. Retrieved 2019-07-11.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Lithuania 3,535,547 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2011-01-01. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
Connecticut 3,574,097Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Decadal Variation In Population Since 1901
- Assembly Constituencies and their EXtent
- Seats of Odisha
- "List of Member in Fourteenth Assembly". ws.ori.nic.in. Archived from the original on 2 May 2007. Retrieved 19 February 2013.
MEMBER NAMECite uses deprecated parameter
- "All Members of Lok Sabha (Since 1952) Members Biographical Sketches". Retrieved 21 December 2017.