11 October 1982 |
|Playing style||Right-handed, shakehand grip|
|Highest ranking||9 (April 2008)|
|Height||1.79 m (5 ft 10 in)|
|Weight||80 kg (180 lb; 13 st)|
Gao Ning (simplified Chinese: 高宁; traditional Chinese: 高寧; pinyin: Gāo Níng; born 11 October 1982 in Hubei, China) is a male Table Tennis player from Singapore. He is considered Singapore's best male player with a world ranking of 19 as of December, 2012. He was first in men's singles at the 2007 Commonwealth Table Tennis Championships.
He won a gold medal as a team member plus silver medals in the men's singles and men's doubles at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
Gao Ning cried after his singles match defeat to an opponent in the Beijing 2008 Olympics as no coach was available to guide him during the match. His coach was sick before the match. The scene of him in tears was telecast on local TV, causing the head coach of the Singapore table tennis team to lose his job.
At the 2014 Commonwealth Games, he won another two gold medals and a silver. The gold medals came in the men's doubles, with Li Hu, and the men's team, again with Li, and Zhan Jian. The silver came in the men's individual, where he lost the final to his team-mate Zhan.
Singles (as of April 22, 2015)
- World Championships: round of 16 (2007, 2013).
- World Cup appearances: 3. Record: 5-8th (2007).
- ITTF World Tour winner (2): India Open 2007; Chile Open 2012.
Runner-up (1): Brazil Open 2007.
- ITTF World Tour Grand Finals appearances: 4. Record: SF (2011).
- Asian Games: QF (2010).
- Asian Championships: round of 16 (2007, 2009).
- Asian Cup: 1st (2007); 2nd (2010); 3rd (2008).
- World Championships: QF (2009).
- Pro Tour winner (6): India, Austrian Open 2007; Chile Open 2008; India Open 2009; Kuwait Open 2012; UAE 2013.
Runner-up (10): Russian, German Open 2006; Brazil, Chile, Korea, Chinese Taipei, German, Swedish Open 2007; Polish Open 2008; India Open 2010.
- Pro Tour Grand Finals appearances: 6. Record: winner (2008, 2012); runner-up (2009, 2010).
- Asian Championships: winner (2012); SF (2013).
- World Championships: round of 16 (2009, 2011).
- Olympics: 5th (2012).
- World Championships: 5th (2014).
- Commonwealth Games: winner (2010).
- "ITTF player's profile". International Table Tennis Federation. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "ITTF world ranking". International Table Tennis Federation. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Athlete's Profile". 2014 Incheon Asian Games Organizing Committee. Retrieved 4 October 2014.
- Acharya, Mahesh. "Gold for Gao Ning but Nigerians Prevent Singaporean Clean Sweep in Jaipur". Accessed 5 September 2008.
- "Glasgow 2014 - Ning Gao Profile". g2014results.thecgf.com. Retrieved 2015-04-22.
- "ITTF Statistics". International Table Tennis Federation. Retrieved 2010-08-20.
- "Olympic results". http://www.sports-reference.com/olympics/. Sports Reference LLC. Retrieved 2010-08-20.