Garage Museum of Contemporary Art
Garage Museum, 2017
|Former name||The Garage Center for Contemporary Culture|
|Founder||Dasha Zhukova; Roman Abramovich|
The Garage Museum of Contemporary Art, also referred to simply as The Garage Museum, is a privately funded art gallery in Moscow. It was founded by Dasha Zhukova and Roman Abramovich as the Garage Center for Contemporary Culture in 2008 and was renamed on 1 May 2014. Since June 2015, it has been housed in a building designed by the Dutch architect Rem Koolhaas.
As well as providing permanent collections and changing exhibitions, the museum also operates as a research centre. It has archives relating to Russian contemporary art from the 1950s. It also runs educational programmes and publishes material relating to current developments in Russian and international art and culture.
When the museum opened in June 2008, it was housed in Moscow's former Bakhmetevsky Bus Garage, designed in 1926 by the Constructivist architect Konstantin Melnikov, hence the museum's name. Dasha Zhukova was the first director of museum. The British singer Amy Winehouse gave a private performance at the official opening.
The museum's new headquarters was originally a modernist building built in 1968 as the Vremena Goda (English:Seasons of the Year), a Soviet-era restaurant. It was redesigned by Rem Koolhaas specifically for the Garage Museum.
Collections and exhibitions
Although the museum mainly focuses on Russian modern and contemporary art from the 1950s onward, it has also held exhibitions on international artists such as Mark Rothko, Anthony Gormley, Cindy Sherman, Jeff Koons, and Takashi Murakami.
In 2018, the museum was the venue for bauhaus imaginista. Moving Away: The Internationalist Architect, which explored the work of a group of Bauhaus trained German architects, Konrad Püschel, Philipp Tolziner and Lotte Stam-Beese, who along with their former teacher, Hannes Meyer, worked in the Soviet Union in the early 1930s. Bauhaus Imaginista ran a series of exhibitions around the world to commemorate the 2019 centenary of the founding of the Bauhaus.
- "Dasha Zhukova's New Garage Museum Delivers Social Engagement But No Politics". Artnet. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Garage Museum. About Us. Retrieved 22 April 2019
- Kamenev, Marina (19 September 2008) "Garage Makes Its Debut". The Moscow Times. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- "Amy Winehouse in Russia billionaire gig", 12 June 2008. Reuters. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Ioffe, Julia (27 September 2010) "Garage Mechanics". The New Yorker. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Wilson, Eric. "Art and Fashion in Dasha Zhukova's Garage". The New York Times. Retrieved 1 August 2015.
- Jung, Sophie (21 September 2018) Bauhaus in Moskau Ausstellung zu Hannes Meyer, Philipp Tolziner und Konrad Püschel in BauNetz. Retrieved 12 April 2019
- Bauhaus Imaginista. Retrieved 22 April 2019