Garcia Live Volume One
|Garcia Live Volume One|
|Live album by|
|Released||February 19, 2013|
|Recorded||March 1, 1980|
|Producer||Marc Allan, Joe Gastwirt|
|Jerry Garcia Band chronology|
|Jerry Garcia chronology|
Garcia Live Volume One is an album by the Jerry Garcia Band. It contains the complete early show and late show performed on March 1, 1980, at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey. It was released on February 19, 2013, by ATO Records, in two formats — as a three-disc CD, and as a digital download. The album is the first of a series of archival concert releases called Garcia Live.
At the time of the Capitol Theatre concerts, the members of the Jerry Garcia Band were Jerry Garcia on guitar and vocals, Ozzie Ahlers on keyboards and vocals, John Kahn on bass, and Johnny de Foncesca on drums. At the late show, Robert Hunter sat in with the band on two songs that he wrote. The concerts were recorded using a 24-track mobile recording truck, and the early show was broadcast on WNEW-FM radio.
The cover of the album features a drawing of Tiger, one of Garcia's guitars.
On Allmusic, Fred Thomas wrote, "Recorded in 1980 at the Capitol Theatre in Passaic, New Jersey, the extensive set list includes only a few Garcia/Dead staples ('Deal', 'Sugaree'), but branches out into more eclectic territory with massively jammed-out versions of covers ranging from the Beatles to Jimmy Cliff. Grateful Dead lyricist Robert Hunter joins the band for an encore including 'Tiger Rose' and 'Promontory Rider'."
- Early show:
- "Sugaree" (Jerry Garcia, Robert Hunter) – 14:33
- "Catfish John" (Bob McDill, Allen Reynolds) – 9:56
- "How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You)" (Brian Holland, Lamont Dozier, Eddie Holland) – 9:05
- "Simple Twist of Fate" (Bob Dylan) – 16:16
- Early show continued:
- "Sitting in Limbo" (Jimmy Cliff, Guillermo Bright-Plummer) – 12:40
- "That's All Right" (Jimmy Rogers) – 8:09
- "Deal" (Garcia, Hunter) – 8:22
- Late show:
- "Mission in the Rain" (Garcia, Hunter) – 12:50
- "That's What Love Will Make You Do" (Henderson Thigpen, James Banks, Eddy Marion) – 8:56
- Late show continued:
- "Russian Lullaby" (Irving Berlin) – 15:39
- "The Harder They Come" (Cliff) – 11:47
- "Tiger Rose" (Hunter) – 4:10
- "Promontory Rider" (Hunter) – 6:10
- "Midnight Moonlight" (Peter Rowan) – 8:39
- "Dear Prudence" (John Lennon, Paul McCartney) – 10:22
Jerry Garcia Band
- Jerry Garcia – guitar, vocals
- Ozzie Ahlers – keyboards, vocals
- John Kahn – bass
- Johnny de Foncesca – drums
- Produced for release by Marc Allan, Joe Gastwirt
- Original recordings produced by Jerry Garcia
- Executive producer: Coran Capshaw
- Mixing: Jeff Peters
- Mix assistant: Spencer Guerra
- Mastering: Joe Gastwirt
- Art direction, design, illustration: Ryan Corey
- Photography: Bob Minkin, Tom Dunning
- Liner notes: David Gans
- Bernstein, Scott (August 2, 2012). "Jerry Garcia Estate to Launch Garcia Live Archival Series", Glide Magazine. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Shelter, Matthew (February 18, 2013). "GarciaLive Volume 1: Capitol Theatre, 3/1/80", The Grateful Web. Retrieved March 2, 2012.
- "Garcia Live Volume 1 Announced", Jambands.com, August 2, 2012. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Garcia Live: Volume One: March 1st 1980 Capitol Theatre", The Grateful Dead Family Discography. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- "Garcia Live Volume One", dead.net. Retrieved March 2, 2013.
- Shackleford, Tom (October 8, 2019). "Jerry Garcia Band's 1980 Capitol Theatre Show to Receive Vinyl Release for Black Friday". Live for Live Music. Retrieved November 27, 2019.
- Thomas, Fred. Garcia Live Volume One at Allmusic. Retrieved March 17, 2013.