Garden State Crematory
View from the center field of the front entrance.
In the 19th century, the New York and New Jersey Cremation Company performed cremations inside of Becker's Castle, a brownstoned structure on the west side of then 'Hudson Boulevard', now Kennedy Boulevard. In 1907, the company remodeled the building, dividing the roomspaces into thousands of niches for urns and adding a two-story wing to the south side.
Hindu ceremonial expansion
When the demand for the remains of Hindu customers being housed inside the complex during the 1980s to the 1990s rose, a basement room was converted into a small Hindu chapel. An altar was placed in front of a large picture of Shiva; other deities adorning the chapel included Ganesha, Hanuman, Durga and Krishna. It was completed in 1997.
- Albert Dekker (1905–1968), stage and television actor
- Roy Oscar Miller (1883–1938), Major League Baseball player
- Conrad Nagel (1897–1970), silent film and television actor
- Madeline Kahn (1942-1999), film and television actress
- Alexander D. Henderson (businessman), (1865-1925), Vice President and Treasurer of the California Perfume Company
- Sid Vicious, born John Simon Ritchie, (1957-1979), musician/bassist with Sex Pistols
- Joan Rivers (1933-2014), comedian and actress
- Míriam Colón (1936-2017), Puerto Rican actress
- Katherine Noel Brosnahan/ Kate Spade (1962-2018), American fashion designer and businesswoman
- http://www.crematorydirectory.com/profiles/new_jersey/nj_gardenstate.html The United States Crematory Directory
- https://books.google.com/books?id=-FoCEqmZ3k8C&pg=PA230&lpg=PA230&dq=garden+state+crematory+history&source=bl&ots=oagM79brjO&sig=pMmvUBoDIXqkhP3c4e9Mqp7FXWk&hl=en&ei=aAHCS_L-CoGclgfY46HaBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6&ved=0CCUQ6AEwBQ#v=onepage&q&f=false New Jersey Cemeteries and Tombstones: History in the Landscape
- http://pluralism.org/profiles/view/71216 Garden State Crematory: Chapel for Hindu Ceremonies (2004)