Garden guns are smooth bore shotguns commonly used by gardeners and farmers for pest control. They are made to fire small gauges such as .410, 9mm Flobert or .22 rimfire shot shells. They are short range shotguns that can do little harm past 15 to 20 yards, and they are relatively quiet when fired with rimfires. These guns are especially effective inside of barns and sheds, as the low velocity small shot will not shoot holes in the roof or walls, or more importantly injure livestock with a ricochet. They are also used for pest control at airports, warehouses, stockyards, etc.
In North America, garden guns are usually chambered for .22 Rimfire and the most common cartridge is a .22 Long Rifle loaded with No. 12 shot. From a standard rifle these cartridges can produce effective patterns only to a distance of about 3 metres (10 ft) - but in a smooth bore garden gun this can extend as far as 15 metres (50 ft).
In Europe, garden guns designed for the 9mm Flobert rimfire shotshell cartridge are common, and face very little to no restriction, even in countries with strict gun laws. Its power and range are very limited, making it suitable only for pest control. Fiocchi-made 9 mm Flobert rimfire ammunition uses a 1.75" brass shotshell firing 1/4 oz shot of No. 8 shot with a velocity of 600 fps.
Small .410 gauge shotguns such as the Snake Charmer, Rossi Tuffy, and H&R Tamer are also commonly used by gardeners and farmers for pest control, and are sometimes called "garden guns". .410 shotguns loaded with shot shells are well suited for small game hunting and pest control; including rabbits, squirrels, snakes, rats, birds, etc.
- Eger, Christopher (28 July 2013). "Marlin 25MG Garden Gun". Marlin Firearms Forum. Outdoor Hub LLC. Archived from the original on 18 September 2016. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- Lermayer, Ralph M. (July 2010). "Evolution of the .22". GunHunter Magazine. Buckmasters Ltd. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
… take a .22 rimfire smoothbore (like the Mossberg or Marlin’s Garden gun), and patterns will be surprisingly good out to 15 yards.
- Field & Stream Online Editors (December 1999). "Marlin's .22 Mag Garden Gun". Fieldandstream.com. Field & Stream. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
A gopher-getter? Get serious.
- Rees, Clair (March 2000). "Marlin's 'Garden Gun' - Model 25MG". Guns Magazine. Archived from the original on 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2016.
- poots, Bruce. "Falco 9mm rimfire rifle review". Shooting UK. Retrieved 5 August 2018.
- Frank C. Barnes (2003) . Cartridges of the World (10th ed.). Krause Publications. ISBN 0-87349-605-1.
- https://www.chiappafirearms.com/p/id/187/product/Little-Badger-Shotgun.php Chiappa Firearms. Product. Little Badger Shotgun
- https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/chiappa-little-badger-review/ 9mm Rimfire Shotgun – Chiappa Little Badger Review by CLAY MARTIN on MAY 24, 2018
- "Chiappa Firearms - LITTLE BADGER DELUXE SHOTGUN". www.chiappafirearms.com.