|Presented by||Peter Cundall (1990 - 2008)|
Stephen Ryan (2009 - 2011)
Costa Georgiadis (2012 - present)
|Country of origin||Australia|
|No. of series||29 (as of 2018)|
|Running time||30 minutes (until 2017) 60 minutes (from 2018)|
|Picture format||576i (SDTV)|
|Original release||16 February 1990 –|
Gardening Australia is an Australian lifestyle television program which suggests and promotes organic and environmentally friendly ways of gardening.
Gardening Australia was originally hosted by Peter Cundall, an experienced gardener with a passion for growing plants using organic methods. Stephen Ryan succeeded Cundall in 2009. After three years as host, Ryan's contract was not renewed by ABC. Costa Georgiadis was announced as the new host in December 2011 for the 2012 series.
In addition to the host, each episode contains segments which are recorded across Australia with local presenters. These include:
- Josh Byrne (WA)
- Tino Carnevale (TAS)
- Jerry Coleby-Williams (QLD)
- Jane Edmanson (VIC)
- Millie Ross (VIC)
- Sophie Thomson (SA)
- Clarence Slockee (NSW)
|Leonie Norrington||c. 2010||NT|
|Mary Moody||c. 2000||NSW|
Cundall had a segment called Pete's Mailbag where viewers could ask questions or send in photographs or letters about their own gardens.
The show has several segments, which include all forms of gardening, from sculptural and artistic gardens to vegetable growing and xeriscaping. Most segments are filmed on location.
The program has an Ask It/Solve It section where people can submit their garden questions/problems to be answered by the presenters.
The Vegie Guide is a new feature which suggests a range of vegetables that can be planted each month, in the broad climate zones around Australia.
- List of longest-running Australian television series
- List of programs broadcast by ABC Television
- List of Australian television series
- Knox, David (23 January 2009). "Stephen digs into Gardening Australia". tvtonight.com.au. Retrieved 23 January 2009.
- Costa to host Gardening Australia, ABC, 20 December 2011
- "About Angus | Gardening With Angus". www.gardeningwithangus.com.au. Retrieved 25 July 2017.
- Justin Russell (8 November 2012). "A visit to Pete's Patch, Hobart". organicgardener.com.au. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 18 October 2015.