A view of Gardiki.
|Highest elevation||1,130 m (3,710 ft)|
|Lowest elevation||1,000 m (3,000 ft)|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Postal code||420 37|
Gardiki is a village and a community in the Triakala regional unit of Greece's Thessaly region. It is part of the municipal unit of Aithikes. The 2011 census recorded 58 residents in the village and 143 in the community. Most residents are aromanians.
The community of Gardiki comprises two settlements:
- Gardiki (population 58)
- Palaiochori (population 85)
The aforementioned population countings are as of 2011.
In the aftermath of the Fourth Crusade, Cardicium, a Latinized form of the town's name, became a Latin Church diocese. The earlier existence of the bishopric is indicated in Notitiae episcopatuum of the 12th or 13th century as a suffragan of Larissa. A manuscript list indicates that there was a Greek bishop named John in 1191-1192.
Lequien (II, 979) and Gams mention five Latin bishops of the see, from 1208 to 1389, the first being Bartholomew, to whom many letters of Pope Innocent III are addressed and who seems to have been the only residential Latin bishop. The diocese is today listed by the Catholic Church as a titular see.
Manuscript lists give the names of later Greek Orthodox Church bishops: Metrophanes, degraded in 1623; Gregorius or Cyrillus, 1623; Sophronius, 1646-1649; Gregorius, about 1700; Meletius, 1743; Paisius, 18th century; Gregorius, about 1852. When Thessaly was united with Greece (1881), the Greek Orthodox eparchy had been vacant since 1875 and was suppressed in 1899 through being absorbed into that of Phthiotis.
- "Detailed census results 2011" (in Greek).
- Sophrone Pétridès, "Cardica" in Catholic Encyclopedia (New York 1908)
- Pius Bonifacius Gams, Series episcoporum Ecclesiae Catholicae, Leipzig 1931, p. 432
- Konrad Eubel, Hierarchia Catholica Medii Aevi, vol. 1, pp. 166–167; vol. 3, p. 153; vol. 4, p. 135; vol. 5, p. 143
- Annuario Pontificio 2013 (Libreria Editrice Vaticana 2013 ISBN 978-88-209-9070-1), "Sedi titolari", p. 858