Gareth Edwards (director)
Edwards at the 2014 WonderCon.
|Born||1975 (age 39–40)
Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, United Kingdom
|Occupation||Director, screenwriter, cinematographer, production designer, visual effects artist|
Gareth Edwards (born 1975) is a British director, screenwriter, cinematographer, production designer, and visual effects artist. He is best known for directing the 2014 version of Godzilla but first gained widespread recognition for Monsters, an independent film for which he acted as writer, director, cinematographer, and visual effects artist.
Edwards was born in 1975 in Nuneaton, Warwickshire. He is of Welsh parentage. He attended Higham Lane School. Since childhood, he wanted direct his own films, stating that "Star Wars is definitely the reason that I wanted to become a filmmaker".
Edwards studied BA (Hons) Film & Video at the University for the Creative Arts in Farnham, formerly the Surrey Institute of Art & Design, graduating in 1996. In 2012, he received an honorary Master of Arts from UCA.
He got his start in special effects; creating digital effects for prestigious shows such as Nova, Perfect Disaster and Heroes and Villains, the latter of which a series for which he made 250 visual effects which won international recognition. In 2008 he entered Sci-Fi-London, a 48 hour film challenge, where a movie had to be created start-to-finish in just two days, within certain criteria. Edwards won the contest and went on to write and direct Monsters, his first feature. Edwards personally created the special effects for Monsters using off the shelf equipment. Besides the two main actors, the crew consisted of just five people.
The success of Monsters brought enough awareness in Hollywood to land Edwards a few major projects. After the film's release, he did interviews in Hollywood with several studios, including Legendary Pictures. In January 2011, Edwards landed his first major Hollywood feature, as the director of the 2014 Godzilla reboot from Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures.
In May 2014, it was announced that Edwards would direct the first Star Wars stand-alone film with writer Gary Whitta, due to be released on 16 December 2016 and will return to direct the Godzilla sequel, now planned as a trilogy, with the first sequel targeted to be released on 8 June 2018. In March 2014, it was revealed that Edwards' spin-off Star Wars film, now written by Chris Weitz and starring Felicity Jones, would be titled Star Wars: Rogue One, set for release on December 16, 2016.
|2005||End Day||Yes||Yes||No||Television film|
|2007||In the Shadow of the Moon||No||No||No||Visual effects||Documentary|
|2008||Factory Farmed||Yes||Yes||No||Cinematography, Editor||Short film|
|2010||Monsters||Yes||Yes||No||Director of photography, Visual effects, Production designer|
|2015||Monsters: Dark Continent||No||No||Yes|
|2016||Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One||Yes||No||No|
|2018||Untitled Godzilla sequel||Yes||No||No|
|2003||Seven Wonders of the Industrial World||No||Visual effects||7 episodes|
|2006||Perfect Disaster||Yes||Visual effects||2 episodes|
|2008||Heroes and Villains||Yes||Visual effects||Episode: "Attila the Hun"|
- Clarke, Cath (23 September 2010). "First sight: Gareth Edwards". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- Davis, Laura (2 December 2010). "Interview with Gareth Edwards, the Director of ‘Monsters’". The Independent. Retrieved 4 January 2011.
- "Godzilla and Star Wars director Gareth Edwards". Wales Online. 27 May 2014. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Hopkins, Jessica (27 February 2011). "The film that changed my life: Gareth Edwards". The Observer. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Rose, Steve (27 November 2010). "Monsters: the bedroom blockbuster that's the anti-Avatar". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- "Godzilla: Meet The Director". Youtube. Retrieved 10 April 2014.
- Kit, Borys (4 January 2011). "EXCLUSIVE: 'Monsters' Director Stomps to 'Godzilla'". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 17 November 2011.
- Kit, Borys (22 May 2014). "'Star Wars' Spinoff Hires 'Godzilla' Director Gareth Edwards (Exclusive)". Hollywood Reporter.
- Turek, Ryan (22 May 2014). "We Might Be Waiting a While for Godzilla 2, Edwards Boards Star Wars Film". Shock Till You Drop.
- "Godzilla 2 Stomps Into Theaters June 8, 2018". Coming Soon. Retrieved 10 October 2014.
- "Rogue One is the first Star Wars standalone film, Rian Johnson to write and direct Star Wars: Episode VIII". Star Wars. 12 March 2015. Retrieved 15 March 2015.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (1 May 2014). "Gareth Edwards Names His 3 Filmmaking Heroes Plus New 'Godzilla' Featurette Goes Behind The Scenes". Indie Wire.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gareth Edwards (director).|
- Gareth Edwards at the Internet Movie Database
- Factory Farmed, winner of the Sci-Fi-London 2008 film festival 48 Hour Film Challenge, on Dailymotion.
- Gareth Edwards: Indie Filmmaker, See how Gareth created his independent film with "pro-sumer" equipment.