Gareth Evans (director)
Evans in 2012
|Born||1980 (age 40–41)|
|Alma mater||University of Glamorgan|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter, film editor, action choreographer|
Gareth Huw Evans (born 1980) is a Welsh film director, screenwriter, editor, and action choreographer. He is best known for the Indonesian action crime films Merantau (2009), The Raid (2011), and The Raid 2 (2014), and for bringing the Indonesian martial art of pencak silat into world cinema through these films. He is also known for creating the action crime drama television series Gangs of London (2020).
After directing a small-budget film called Footsteps, Evans was hired as a freelance director for a documentary about the Indonesian martial art pencak silat. He became fascinated with it, and discovered Indonesian martial artist Iko Uwais, who was working as a deliveryman for a phone company. Evans cast Uwais in his 2009 film Merantau. He planned to produce a larger action film, but scaled the production budget down and created an action film called The Raid (2011). After the success of The Raid, the larger action film eventually became the basis for its sequel, The Raid 2: Berandal (2014).
In October 2017, TheWrap reported that Evans had pitched his idea for a Deathstroke solo film and is in early talks to write and direct. Evans also passed on directing a Justice League Dark film. However, in April 2020, Evans said that the film had been delayed and that he was no longer actively involved with the project.
|2006||Footsteps||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Role: Porn Den Videographer|
|2011||The Raid||Yes||Yes||Executive||Yes||Also action choreographer|
|2014||The Raid 2: Berandal||Yes||Yes||No||Yes|
|2018||Apostle||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Also action design team|
- Killers (2014)
|2013||Safe Haven||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Segment of V/H/S/2|
|2016||Pre Vis Action||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Also cinematographer|
|2020||Gangs of London||Yes||Yes||Yes||Episodes 1, 5, and most action sequences|
- Hughes, Brendan (24 May 2012). "Gareth comes home for his film premiere". walesonline.co.uk.
- Brown, Todd (4 February 2009). "Gareth Evans and Iko Uwais talk MERANTAU". Twitch Film. Archived from the original on 9 March 2012. Retrieved 2011-09-22.
- "'The Raid' directed by Glamorgan graduate Gareth Evans released today". University of Glamorgan. 2012-05-18. Archived from the original on 2014-05-15. Retrieved 2012-06-04.
- Ludkin, Gareth (May 2012). "profile - Gareth Evans". Buzz: 22.
- Gareth Evans – The Raid Interview at TIFF 2011. Tribute.ca. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
- Helen Barlow (15 June 2014). "Welsh director Gareth Evans' second 'Raid' movie is an all-action expansion of the first Indonesia-filmed hit". South China Morning Post.
- Gonzalez, Umberto (October 25, 2017). "Gareth Evans In Talks To Write & Direct A Deathstroke Solo Film". TheWrap. Retrieved October 25, 2017.
- "Gareth Evans reveals pitch for his 'lean, visceral' Deathstroke movie that never happened (exclusive)". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2020-06-08.
- "Director, Star of 'The Raid' Discuss the Movie". Jakarta Globe. 2012-04-02. Archived from the original on 2012-06-06.
- Damon Wise (5 May 2012). "The Raid: how a Welsh director rocked the world of Asian action cinema". The Guardian.
- "Sony Pictures Classics Releasing The Raid". deadline.com. 29 November 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gareth Evans.|