Gareth Rees (motorsport commentator)
Gareth Rees (born 12 November 1969) is a Welsh motorsport commentator. He has commentated on a wide variety of series, including Champ Car, IndyCar, the World Series, Formula 3000, Euro 3000, DTM and GP2. Rees has worked for both British Eurosport and Motors TV.
Following the birth of his first child, Rees considered scaling back his media work in order to spend more time with his family. Having decided to continue covering GP2, Rees was informed by British Eurosport that they had lost the broadcasting rights for the 2008 season to rival ITV. In the light of this news, Rees decided to reduce his commentary commitments, after all. Since making the decision, he has commentated on the DTM, for Motors TV, on a part-time basis.
Rees used to be a racing driver himself. Despite achieving considerable success in junior categories (winning the Formula Opel Euroseries, Marlboro Masters and British Formula Two Championship), the Welshman retired from competition in 1998, unable to secure funding to further his career. Outside of motor racing, Rees is a big Cardiff City supporter, holding a season ticket at the Premier League side.
- "The founding of the Welsh Racing Drivers Association". wrda.co.uk. Retrieved 27 October 2007.
- "The Formula 3000 drivers — Where are they now?". Retrieved 27 October 2007.
- "Gareth Rees to step back from motorsport commentary". On The Grid. Retrieved 6 August 2008.
- "Team Biography: Alan Docking Racing". fota.co.uk. Retrieved 27 October 2007.[permanent dead link]
- "Race Driver Database: Gareth Rees". speedsportmag.com. Retrieved 27 October 2007.
| McLaren Autosport BRDC Award
| Formula Three Masters Winner
José Luis Di Palma (1994)
| British Formula 2 champion