This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Thomas Timothy Garfield Morgan|
19 April 1931
Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, UK
5 December 2009 (aged 78)|
London, England, UK
|Spouse(s)||Dilys Laye (1963 - 2009) (divorced)|
Thomas Timothy Garfield Morgan (19 April 1931 – 5 December 2009), known professionally as Garfield Morgan, was an English actor who appeared mostly on television and occasionally in films.
Born in Birmingham, Warwickshire, Morgan was apprenticed as a dental mechanic before going to drama school. He started his acting career with the Arena Theatre, Birmingham. He then went on to be Director of Productions at the Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury from 1957 to 1958 and then at Manchester's Library Theatre 1959 to 1960. He was Associate Director of Northgate Theatre 1976 to 1978 and Associate Director of the Nottingham Playhouse in 1978. He featured in many plays like The Pumpkin Eater, The Story of Private Pooley and Perfect Friday.
Entering TV in 1955, he made hundreds of appearances in many shows. He played Detective Chief Inspector Gwyn Lewis in the first series of the BBC police series Softly, Softly, but his best remembered role was as Detective Chief Inspector Frank Haskins in the Euston Films/Thames Television's British crime series of the 1970s, The Sweeney. Morgan appeared in all four series of the programme. He appeared in "The House on Haunted Hill" episode of Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) in 1969. He continued to perform in character roles on TV, most recently in The Bill. He appeared on Hallelujah!, No Job for a Lady and Shelley. His film roles included The Odessa File and 28 Weeks Later.
He appeared on Z-Cars, The Bill, The Likely Lads, Dr. Finlay's Casebook, No Hiding Place, Callan, Redcap, Paul Temple, The Persuaders!, The Avengers, On the Buses, Dixon of Dock Green, Special Branch, Sutherland's Law, George and Mildred, The Gentle Touch, Lovejoy, Bad Girls, Heartbeat, Crown Court, The Saint, Minder, Shelley, Public Eye, The Troubleshooters and Holby City.
He was married to the actress Dilys Laye in 1963 (marriage dissolved). He listed his hobbies as golf, photography and riding (show-jumping and eventing). Morgan died from cancer on 5 December 2009.
- The Intimate Stranger (1956) - Waiter (uncredited)
- Two Letter Alibi (1961) - Foreman of the Jury (uncredited)
- Der Schwur des Soldaten Pooley (1961) - Albert Pooley
- A Prize of Arms (1962) - MP with Dog
- On the Run (1963) - Meredith
- The Informers (1963) - 2nd Inspector (uncredited)
- Our Mother's House (1967) - Mr. Moley
- Perfect Friday (1970) - 1st Airport Official
- To Catch a Spy (1971) - The Husband
- Henry VIII and His Six Wives (1972) - Gardiner
- Digby, the Biggest Dog in the World (1973) - Rogerson
- The Odessa File (1974) - Israeli General
- George and Mildred (1980) - Jim Bridges
- Murder Elite (1985) - Inspector Moss
- Out of Order (1987) - Drill Sergeant
- The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill But Came Down a Mountain (1995) - Davies the School
- Starting Over (1998) - Morgan
- Top Dog (2002) - Bob Henchard
- 28 Weeks Later (2007) - Geoff (final film role)