Gargoyle (router firmware)
Quotas configuration screen
|Source model||Open source|
|Initial release||14 July 2008|
|Latest release||1.10.0 (October 27, 2017)|
|Available in||English, Spanish, Polish, Russian and Chinese (minimal support for Portuguese and Arabic)|
|Platforms||Tested on three platforms all using the MIPS CPU architecture; potentially compatible with more as OpenWrt but requires 4 MB of Flash and 16 MB of RAM|
|Kernel type||Monolithic (Linux)|
|Default user interface||CLI, WebUI|
Free software licenses|
(mainly GPL), and other licenses
Gargoyle is a free OpenWrt-based Linux distribution for a range of wireless routers based on Broadcom or Atheros chipsets, mainly the older Linksys WRT54G series, Asus Routers and some Netgear routers. Among notable features is the ability to limit and monitor bandwidth and set bandwidth caps per specific IP address.
- Network file storage sharing, SMB, CIFS.
- VPN server and VPN client.
- Tor server and Tor client.
- Advertisement blocking.
- Wifi scheduled on/off.
- Bandwidth monitoring
- Quotas, limits and bandwidth throttling
- Quality of service (QoS) with active congestion control
- Website blacklisting by hostname or IP address
|Version||Release Date||Type of Release||Number of Incremental Releases|
|1.0||Jul 14, 2009||Stable||16|
|1.1||Oct 25, 2009||Experimental||8|
|1.2||Mar 21, 2010||Stable||5|
|1.3||Jun 10, 2010||Experimental||16|
|1.4||Aug 14, 2011||Stable||7|
|1.5||Oct 25, 2011||Experimental||11|
|1.6||Jan 15, 2014||Stable||2|
|1.7||Jan 05, 2015||Experimental||2|
|1.8||Aug 20, 2015||Stable||1|
|1.9||Nov 08, 2015||Experimental||2|
|1.10||Oct 27, 2017||Stable||0 (Current)|
|1.11||TBA, 2018||Experimental||0 (Future)|
- "Gargoyles to keep a watch over your PC". Cybershack. 21 Jan 2011. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- Kissling, Kristian (17 Jul 2009). "Gargoyle: Web Interface for Router Configuration". Linux Magazine. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
- "EduBoris: Gargoyle router for bandwidth limiting / cap linksys wrt54g". EduBoris. September 1, 2010. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Lim, Ian (August 11, 2011). "Gargoyle Router – A Not So Ugly Solution to Bandwidth Monitoring and Quotas – Mini Review". The Gadgeteer. Retrieved 3 November 2011.
- Vervloesem, Koen (December 22, 2010). "Gargoyle: completely open source and easy to use". LWN.net. Eklektix. Retrieved 5 November 2011.
- Vilches, Jose (29 June 2011). "Custom Firmware Alternatives For Your Wireless Router". TechSpot. Retrieved 22 March 2012.
|This Linux-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This computer networking article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|