This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Neighbourhood in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|Municipal Corporation||Kolkata Municipal Corporation|
|KMC wards||100, 101, 109, 110, 111|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|PIN||700084, 700047, 700094, 700152|
|Area code(s)||+91 33|
|Lok Sabha constituency||Jadavpur|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Jadavpur|
Garia is a neighbourhood of southern Kolkata, in Kolkata district, West Bengal, India. It is home to Netaji Subhash Engineering College and Future Institute of Technology (Boral Campus). It is bounded by Jadavpur to the north, Bansdroni/Tollygunge to the north-west, Santoshpur to the north-east, Narendrapur/Sonarpur to the south and Mukundapur to the east. The southern part of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass runs through the heart of the region. It is also represented by an important, ever-busy, and ever-crowded traffic junction from where a variety of public transports ply in different directions, making it a principal spot of south Kolkata.
- 1 History
- 2 Modern day Garia
- 3 Neighbourhoods
- 4 Geographic location
- 5 Transport
- 6 Major roads of Garia
- 7 Shopping
- 8 Medical facilities
- 9 Education
- 10 Notable NGO
- 11 Places of interest
- 12 Festivals
- 13 In popular culture
- 14 Notable people
- 15 Gallery
- 16 See also
- 17 References
- 18 External links
Garia is one of the oldest settlements around the region, and is located on the Tolly's Nullah(canal) connecting Kolkata to the Vidhyadhari River to the east. It was primarily a peaceful residential neighbourhood before the partition of India, which changed the very fabric of the area.
Overnight refugees came and settled down in the farm lands and country houses of the rich landowners of Kolkata in Garia, increasing the population of the area by many thousands.
Garia became another refugee settlement along with Jadavpur and Tollygunge in the southern fringes of the city. Slowly, after the initial upheaval, development of the area started and it grew to become a peaceful neighbourhood. But again another change was coming to the region. With the expansion of Kolkata to the east and the south during the 1990s, the area witnessed its latest change. Garia was the southern end of the Eastern Metropolitan Bypass, the next 'Chowringhee' of Kolkata. This road connected Garia to the northern parts of the city and the newly developing areas like Salt Lake City and Rajarhat, and also to the airport thus opening the way for rapid commercialization of the area. Already home to two major bus terminus, Garia became the transport and commercial hub for the region.
Modern day Garia
First settlements were on the north of the meeting point of N.S.C.Bose road, Garia main road & Raja Subodh Chandra Mullick road ;Garia More as it is known till day. Kanungo Park, planned by Late Sri Manindra Lal Das an Officer of The Directorate of Settlement Department of West Bengal,from which Milan park was later carved out was the first planned settlement at Garia. This locality is now home to some of the finest upcoming apartment complexes in the city, and is a heaven for people looking to get away from the congestion of Kolkata. Hiland Park, Avani's Victoria Greens, Westwind, Orbit City, Sunny Seasons, Victoria Greens, Sugam Park, Sherwood Estate and Bengal Ambuja's Upohar are the most famous apartment complexes in Garia. Apartment complexes like Sugam Sudhir, PS Srijan Ozone, Modello Highs are close to completion and will be the newst additions to posh housing complexes. However, increasing population day by day, and the upcoming projects and a vast number of residential flats and increased traffic have made Garia almost the same as the other congested places of Kolkata, at present. Metro railway has added a new feather in terms of communication which connects Central & North Kolkata to save time & have a comfortable journey.
Garia includes the neighbourhoods of Kanungo Park, Srirampur, New Garia, Chak Garia, Garia Park, Baghajatin, Baishnabghata-Patuli, Techno City, Panchpota, Model Town, Ganguly Bagan, Tentulberia, East Tentulberia, Ramgarh, Briji, Kamalgazi, Mahamayatala, Boral, Sreenagar, Nayabad, Panchasayar, Balia and certain parts of New Ajaynagar.
New Garia is a fast-growing neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia. The terminal metro station of Kolkata metro in the south is located here.
Chak Garia, also known as Chakgaria, is a posh neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia. It is dotted with high rises like Hiland Park and Bengal Ambuja Upohar.
Baishnabghata-Patuli Township is a township located in the northern part of Garia. Baishnabghata-Patuli Township is a World Bank–funded project on the EM Bypass. Currently, it is one of the most promising parts of south Kolkata.
Mahamayatala is a well-known place in Garia. Even one of the most renowned posh localities in Garia. There are many residential apartments or complex, diagnostic centers, shops, bars etc. all required stuff for living. Mahamayatala is known for its famous Maa Mahamaya Temple.
This is a residential place between Mahamayatala and Hindustan More. There is a sweet shop named Hindustan Sweets and Patton's factory nearby. Various residential buildings and housing complexes are situated in this locality such as Sanghati Abasan, Victoria Enclave, Tinni Apartment, Puskar Abasan, Basundhara Apartment,Luv kush Apartment, Mondal Para Sabuj Sangha club is also there and this area developing very faster etc. In this area one new temple is also established and it has become famous also, it is called a "Bajrangbali Temple". Nowadays this place is very crowded.
It is one of the posh areas of Garia location with renowned multi specialty nursing home like Hindustan health point and shopping destination like bazaar. BSF camp, West Bengal State Electricity Board office, HDFC Bank, Electronic Store, Housing Complex like Ananya Apartments, Victoria Greens. Balia is also a fast-growing neighbourhood in the eastern part of Garia.
The converging point of Raja S.C.Mullick Road, N.S.C.Bose Road & Garia Main Road also known as Garia" More", adjacent to Kanungo Park & Garia Traffic Guard of Kolkata Police is the point where Garia started evolving post Independence.
Garia is home to four major bus termini (popularly named as No.5, No.6, S-21, S-7 and the 45A, 45B after the routes they originally used to serve) and is connected by all varieties of bus services to all parts of the city.
Kavi Nazrul station connects this locality to the Kolkata Metro network. Two more stations - Shahid Khudiram (Near E M Bypass and Garia Station Road crossing popularly known as "Dhalai Bridge", meaning concrete bridge) & Kavi Subhash (at New Garia, the terminal station in this route near Pancha Shyar, in between Baghajatin Railway Station & Garia Railway Station and just beside New Garia Railway Station) have become operational from 7 October 2010.
Garia is served by the Garia.
Major roads of Garia
- Eastern Metropolitan Bypass
- Netaji Subash Chandra Bose Road
- Raja SC Mullick Road
- Garia Main Road
- Garia Station Road
- Boral Main Road
List of Metro Stations in Garia
- Kavi Subhash (formerly New Garia)
- Shahid Khudiram (formerly Birji)
- Kavi Nazrul (formerly Garia Bazar)
- Satyajit Ray (proposed)
- Gitanjali metro station (previously Naktala)
List of Railway Stations in Garia
- New Garia
Garia is one of the major shopping areas of Kolkata. It is home to many shopping malls and departmental stores. Some of them are :
- Metropolis Mall, Hiland Park, EM Bypass, Chak Garia.
- Big Bazaar, Orbit Mall, Garia.
- Spencer's, Garia Station Road.
- Spencer's Express, Baishnabghata Patuli Township.
- Spencer's Express, Tolly Heights, Naktala.
- Bizarre Bazar.
- Sonar Bangla Shopping Complex.
- Pooja Plaza (Near Garia Bazaar)
- Parnashree Market (Near Garia Main Road)
- Brand Factory (Near Mahamayatala, Garia)
- The Apollo Clinic
- Bengal Rural Welfare Service (BRWS) Hospital, junction of Raja Subodh Mullick Road and Baishnabghata Connector.
- Banchbo Healing Touch
- Peerless Hospital, at Panchasayar.
- Remedy Hospital, at Kalitala
- Lifeline Hospital, at Pratapgarh.
- Namita Biswas Memorial Eye Hospital at Garia Station.
- Hindusthan Health Point, at Hindusthan Bus Stop.
- Sevangan nursing home.
- Welkin diagnostic center.
- Smilz Dental Treatment Facility, Garia Park
- Remedy diagnostic center.
- Medich Health Clinic & Diagnostic Centre
- Care & cure diagnostic center.
- Friends Diagnostic Private Limited.
- Mother Teresa Memorial TB Hospital & Research Centre.
- Neotia Mediplus Super Speciality Clinic ( A unit of Park Hospitals)168 Garia Main Road, Kolkata 700084 (Opp. 228 bus stand)
Garia is home to several academic, research and professional institutions and schools. Major colleges, schools and research institutions located here includes:
- Netaji Subhash Engineering College
- Indian Centre for Space Physics, Garia Station Road
- Dinabandhu Andrews College-affiliated to Calcutta University.
- Satyajit Ray Film and Television Institute
- Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta
- Seacom Marine College
- National Institute of Hotel Management, Kolkata
- Sammilani Mahavidyalaya
- K.K. Das College
- Future Institute of Engineering and Management
- Swami Vivekananda Institute of Science & Technology
- Neotia Academy Of Nursing, Chak Garia
- Indus Valley World School
- Welland Gouldsmith School
- Techno India Group Public School
- Techno Model School
- Miranda High School
- B.D. Memorial Institute-Mahamayatala
- Garia Baroda Prasad High School
- Garia Harimati Devi U. Balika School
- Garia Vidyabhavana South School
- Kids World School
- Ideal commercial College
- BANCHBO - NGO of West Bengal. Work in the field of Education of children,Elderly care,Women Empowerment
- Boral Kalpataru Seva Samity - Work in the field of Medicine. Provides free health checks and medicine. Govt registration Num S/2L/38619
Places of interest
- Hiland Park is the second tallest tower in Kolkata (after South City) and is located in Chak Garia on the E. M. Bypass.
- The Conclave Club Verde Vista, Chak Garia.
- Garia Bazaar is one of the largest wholesale fish and vegetable markets in Kolkata.
- Sant Sri Asaramji Ashram, near Netaji Subhash Engineering College.
- Bharat Sevashram Sangha, which is located near Briji.
- Very old twin temples at Garia Burning Ghat. Srimanta Saudagar (the son of Chand Saudagar) built these two temples (dedicated to Kali and Mahakal Shiva).
- Garia Buddha Temple
- Baroda Avenue Kali Temple (one of the oldest Kali temples of Garia).
- A very old temple namely of historical importance (said to be as old as the reigns of the Sen rulers of Bengal, however the old construction has been ruined)-Tripurasundari Temple near Boral High School.
- Kaliganga (canal, a branch from the Ganga)
- Shri Shri Baba Lokenath Mandir ( near the newly inaugurated 'Kavi Nazrul' Metro Station)
- Bipattarini Mandir (Small incarnation of original Bipattarini Temple situated at Rajpur, South 24 Pgs). Those who are unable to visit Rajpur may visit this temple at Garia.)
- Mahamaya Mandir near Mahamayatala petrol pump on the Garia Main Road.
- Jora Mandir near Kali ganga canal consisting a pair of temples
- Baishnab Ghata Putul Park.
- Shree Guru Asram, Naktala.
- Sheetala Mata Mandir, Near Boral Chowk (Near Narayan Mistanna Bhandar)
- Floating Market,Patuli
- Durga Puja is celebrated at Garia with great pomp. Nabadurga, Panchadurga, Mahamayapur Mondal Para sabuj Sangha Durgotsav, Durga puja of Jatra Shuru Sangha, Kanungo Park, Srirampur Kalyan Samity, Milan Park, Sangathani Sangha, Moitri Sangha, Kalyan Parisad and many pujas of housing societies needs special appreciation. People from all corners of the city comes and enjoy these pujas at Garia.
- Buddha Jayanti- celebration of 3 important event of Lord Buddha's life (Birth, Buddhata, Maha Parinirvan)at Garia Buddha Temple on Buddha Purnima Day.
- Kathina Chivara Dana- special occasion for Buddhist specially for Buddhist monk after completion of 3 months of Varsha Mash at Garia Buddha Temple.
- Baishnabghata Patuli Boi Mela - Book Fair at Kendua Shanti Sangha ground at December since 2012.
- Seva Utsav, organized by Dakshin Kalikata Krira O Sanskriti Parishad. It is successfully running for last 35th year. Activities are Free Eye Operation camp, Free Medical Camp, Various Cultural Competition & Programme, Torch relay, Various Exhibition, workshop, Demonstration, All Bengal Yogasan Competition, Baul Mela, Kavi Sammelan, Seminars, etc.
- Rakhi Utsav, Annual function of Sreerampur Kalyan Samity.
- West Bengal Art and Handicrafts Fair(sponsored by the Govt. of West Bengal).
- Old Rath Yatra fair at Rathtala and many other local fairs round the year.
- Puja Rating & Ride by Under Privileged & Street Children & also by Senior Citizen on Sasti/Saptami of Durga Puja organised by Banchbo.
- International Senior Citizen Day on 1 October of every year organized by Banchbo Healing Touch.
- World Diabetes Day on 14 November of every year organized by Banchbo Healing Touch.
- World Environment Day on 5 June of every year organized by Banchbo & METTA PARISHAD - Youth Wing of Garia Bauddha Sanskriti Samsad.
- Doctors' Day on 1 July of every year organized by Banchbo & KENDUA SHANTI SANGHA.
Rakhi Utsav organized by "Garia Manabik" a NGO held every year at Kishore Kalyan Samsad ground Garia, Kamdohari Narkelbagan, Celebrities and dignitaries from different fields and society attend this ceremony.
In popular culture
In early 1953, the principal photography of the Satyajit Ray's debut film Pather Panchali was done at Boral, then a small village on the outskirts of Kolkata, now a locality of Garia. A decade later, Ray again shot a scene of Goopy Gyne Bagha Byne in the dense bamboo groves near a local pond.
- Ashapurna Devi, legendary and highly acclaimed novelist and poet
- Anurag Basu, Bollywood film director
- Kaushik Ganguly, film director
- Churni Ganguly, actress
- Locket Chatterjee, actress
- Rashid Khan, famous classical singer
- Srijato, poet
- Sunil Ganguly, guitarist
- Kabir Suman (Renowned Poet, Singer, Musician & Socio-Political Activist)
- New Garia
- Kolkata Metro Railway Routes (North South Corridor)
- Kolkata Suburban Railway
- Eastern Metropolitan Bypass
- Bus routes in Kolkata
- The Telegraph article on the inauguration of the New Garia-Airport route
- Shopping areas in Kolkata
- Metropolis Mall, Hiland Park Archived 2011-07-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- Big Bazaar-Garia
- Spencer's Express-Naktala
- Bizarre Bazar-Garia
- Sonar Bangla Shopping Complex
- The Apollo Clinic Clinics
- Banchbo Healing Touch Official Website
- SMiLZ Dental Treatment Facility
- KMC Chest Clinics
- Indian Centre for Space Physics
- Affiliated colleges of Calcutta University
- Centre for Studies in Social Sciences, Calcutta address
- Seacom Marine College address
- Sammilani Mahavidyalaya college address
- K.K. Das college address
- List of Schools of Nursing
- Indus Valley World School
- ISC schools in Kolkata
- Techno India Group Public School Branches
- Techno India Model School Branches
- Calcuttaweb-Schools Archived 2007-09-23 at the Wayback Machine.
- B.D. Memorial School locations
- Garia Vidyabhavana South
- "Apu Doesn't Live Here Anymore". Indian Express. Apr 6, 2013. Retrieved 2013-08-22.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garia.|
Kolkata/Southern fringes travel guide from Wikivoyage