Garikapati Narahari Sastry
||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (May 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Garikapati Narahari Sastry|
|Fields||Chemistry, theoretical chemistry|
|Institutions||Indian Institute of Chemical Technology|
|Alma mater||Osmania University, University of Hyderabad|
|Doctoral advisor||Eluvathingal Devassy Jemmis|
|Known for||Molecular Modeling and Computer Aided Drug Design|
Garikapati Narahari Sastry (Telugu: గరికపాటి నరహరి శాస్త్రి) is an Indian chemist. He heads the Molecular Modeling Division at the Indian Institute of Chemical Technology in Hyderabad, India. Sastry has made pioneeing contributions in the areas of computational chemistry and computational biology.
He was awarded Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology in 2011, the highest science award in India, in the chemical sciences category.
Education and Early works
Sastry did his B.Sc. and M.Sc in chemistry from Osmania University. He was awarded his PhD from University of Hyderabad. He did his postdoctoral work in Switzerland and Israel, before joining Department of Chemistry, Pondicherry University in December 1997. He moved to IICT in 2002.
Prizes and honours
- Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology for 2011.
- BM Birla Scientist prize for chemistry 2001
- The Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship,
- The Swarnajayanti Fellowship in 2005,
- National Bioscience Award 2009
- The CRSI Medal in 2010
- Recipient of J. C. Bose National Fellowship of the Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi, 2015
- Molecular Modeling and Computer Aided Drug Design
- "11 scientists selected for Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar award" ibn live, Sep 26,2011