Location in Kenya
|Formed||March 4th 2013|
|• Governor||Ali Bunow Korane (Jubilee)|
|• Deputy Governor||Abdi Dagane Muhumed (Jubilee)|
|• Senator||Yusuf Haji (Jubilee)|
|• Women Representative||Anab Mohamed Gure (Jubilee)|
|• Total||45,720.2 km2 (17,652.7 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,138 m (3,734 ft)|
|• Total||623,060 |
|Time zone||EAT (UTC+3)|
Garissa County is an administrative County in the former North Eastern Province of Kenya. Its capital and largest urban area is Garissa. The large complex of refugee camps at Dadaab, with more than 260,000 Somali refugees (as of August 31, 2016), is located in Garissa County. The county has a population of 923,060, and a land area of about 45,720.2 km².
Garissa County is mostly inhabited by ethnic Somalis. It has six constituencies:
- Garissa Township Constituency
- Fafi Constituency
- Dadaab Constituency
- Lagdera Constituency
- Balambala Constituency
- Ijara Constituency
- H.E Nathif Jama Adam - Governor
- H.E Hon. Abdullahi Hussein - Deputy Governor
- Hon. Mohamud Hassan Mursal - County Secretary
- Hon. Salah Yakub Farah - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Energy,Environment and Tourism
- Hon. Mohamed salah Cabinet Secretary in charge of Health, Water and Sanitation
- Hon. Idriss Aden Mukhtar - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Finance and Economic planning
- Hon. Hussein Hajir Hassan - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Education, Youth, Polytechnics and Sports
- Hon. Hajir Mohamed Dahiye - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Commerce and Cooperatives Development
- Hon. Ahmed Aden Hire - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Land,Housing Development and Public Works
- Hon. Hubbie Hussein Al-haji - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Agriculture, Livestock and Fisheries
- Hon. Halima Mohamed Hajji - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Children affairs, Social Welfare and Women Empowerment
- Hon. Sophia Sheikh Omar - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Culture and Intercommunity affairs
- Hon. Abdihakim S. Dayib - Cabinet Secretary in charge of Transport and Infrastructure
According to the new Constitution that was enacted in 2010, each County will have an assembly whose members are elected from single member constituencies known as wards. There may also be a number of nominated members as this is necessary to ensure that neither male nor female members constitute more than two-thirds of the assembly. There will also be six nominated members to represent marginalised groups (persons with disabilities, and the youth) and a speaker who will be an ex-official member of the assembly. A County Assembly is elected for a term of five years. The Speaker is elected by the assembly members from among people who are not members of the Assembly. The Speaker presides over all sittings of the assembly and in his absence is deputised a deputy speaker who is elected from members within the assembly. The County assembly exercises an oversight over the County Government and makes laws that are necessary to ensure the smooth performance of the county government.
County Public Service Board
According to the new Constitution, a County Public Service Board shall consist of:
- (a) a chairperson nominated and appointed by the county governor with the approval of the county Assembly.
- (b) not less than three but not more than five other members nominated and appointed by the county governor, with the approval of the county assembly.
- (c) a certified public secretary of good professional standing nominated and appointed by the governor with the approval of the county assembly who shall be the secretary to the board.
The appointment of the members of the County Public Service Board shall be through a competitive process.
The Garissa County Public Service Board Consists of:
- Mr. Harun Mohamed - Chairman
- Mrs. Fardosa Abdikadir Hussein -Vice-Chair
- Miss. Annette Wambui Muriuki -Secretary
- Mr. Abdisalam Sheikh Mohamed - Member
- Mr. Abdirizak Said Aden - Member
- Mr. Mohamed Ibrahim Abdi - Member
- Mr. Mohamed Dahir Yussuf - Member
The functions of the County Public Service Board shall be, on behalf of the county government, to—
- (a) establish and abolish offices in the county public service;
- (b) appoint persons to hold or act in offices of the county public service including in the Boards of cities and urban areas within the county and to confirm appointments;
- (c) exercise disciplinary control over, and remove, persons holding or acting in those offices as provided for under this Part;
- (d) prepare regular reports for submission to the county assembly on the execution of the functions of the Board;
- (e) promote in the county public service the values and principles;
- (f) evaluate and report to the county assembly on the extent to which the values and principles referred to in Articles 10 and 232 are complied with in the county public service;
- (g) facilitate the development of coherent, integrated human resource planning and budgeting for personnel emoluments in counties;
- (h) advise the county government on human resource management and development;
- (i) advise county government on implementation and monitoring of the national performance management system in counties;
- (j) make recommendations to the Salaries and Remuneration Commission, on behalf of the county government, on the remuneration, pensions and gratuities for county public service employees.
|Local authorities (councils)|
|* 1999 census. Source: [permanent dead link]|
|Division||Population*||Pop. density*||Area (km²)||Headquarters|
|* 1999 census. Sources: |
Services and Urbanisation
Status for the County (Percent)
|Attending School (15-18 Yrs)||
Stats for the County
Source: USAid Kenya
- "Kenya Census 2009". Scribd.com. Retrieved November 25, 2014.
- "UNHCR Refugees in the Horn of Africa: Somali Displacement Crisis". UNHCR Refugees in the Horn of Africa: Somali Displacement Crisis. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- "Members of the County Executive". Garissa County Government. Archived from the original on 19 March 2015. Retrieved 25 November 2014.
- http://softkenya.com/county/garissa-county/ Garissa County
- http://www.aridland.go.ke/districts.asp?DistrictID=4[permanent dead link]
- Various articles by Terra Nuova from their Transboundary Environmental Project in Garissa and Ijara District