Garitas or Retenes (singular: retén) are federal inspection stations operated by the Mexican government. They are officially known as a "Garita de Revisión." They are usually located within 50 kilometers of a national border (with the United States, Belize, or Guatemala) and they function as immigration checkpoints, where documents and cargo are to be inspected.
List of Garitas in Mexico
Garitas along the Mexico-U.S. Border (listed in order from West to East)
- Garita Pichilingue - located 17 km south of La Paz, Baja California Sur, on Federal Highway 11.
- Garita Santa Rosalía - located along Federal Highway 1 in Baja California Sur.
- Garita Cabullona - located 28.5 km south of Agua Prieta, Sonora, on Federal Highway 17. --
- Garita San Antonio - located 117.5 km south of Naco, Sonora, on Federal Highway 2. --
- Garita Mututicachi - located 163.5 km south of Arizpe, Sonora, on Federal Highway 89.
- Garita Agua Zarca - located 21 km south of Nogales, Sonora, on Federal Highway 15. --
- Garita San Emeterio - located 27 km south of Sonoyta, Sonora, on Federal Highway 2.
- Garita Almejas - located 42 km south of Puerto Peñasco, Sonora, on Federal Highway 37.
- Garita Puerto de Janos - located near Janos, Chihuahua, (approximately 235.2 km southeast of Agua Prieta, Sonora, on Federal Highway 10).
- Garita de Samalayuca - located 72 km south of Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, on Federal Highway 45. --
- Garita El Pegüis - located 47 km west of Ojinaga, Chihuahua, on Federal Highway 16.
- Garita La Mula - located 47 km south of Ojinaga, Chihuahua, on State Hwy 78.
- Garita Kilómetro 53 - located 52.6 km south of Piedras Negras, Coahuila, on Federal Highway 57. --
- Garita Camarón - located 55 km south of Colombia, Nuevo León, on State Hwy 1. --
- Garita Kilómetro 26 - located 26 km south of Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 85. --
- Garita Parás - located 20 km northwest of Ciudad Mier, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 30.
- Garita Ciudad Mier - located 14 km southwest of Ciudad Mier, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 54.
- Garita Arcabuz - located 50 km south of Ciudad Miguel Alemán, Tamaulipas, on the State Hwy to Los Aldama, Nuevo León.
- Garita Kilómetro 35 - located 35 km southwest of Ciudad Camargo, Tamaulipas, on the State Hwy to Peña Blanca, Tamaulipas.
- Garita El Vado - located just south of the official Ciudad Gustavo Díaz Ordaz international crossing, Gustavo Díaz Ordaz, Tamaulipas.
- Garita Kilómetro 30 - located 32 km southwest of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 40. Actual location is within the state of Nuevo León. --
- Garita Kilómetro 26 - located 26 km south of Reynosa, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 97. --
- Garita de las Yescas - located 59 km southwest of Matamoros, Tamaulipas, on Federal Highway 101.
Garitas along the Mexico–Guatemala Border (listed in order from South to North)
- Garita Viva México - located 8 km northwest of Tapachula, Chiapas, on Federal Highway 200.
- Garita El Garitón - located 1360 km southeast of Mexico City on Federal Highway 190. Actual location is several kilometers northwest of Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chiapas.
- Garita El Carmen Xhan - located in Carmen Xhan, Chiapas .
- Garita San Gregorio Chamic - located 27 km west of Ciudad Cuauhtémoc, Chiapas, on the State Hwy to Comitán de Domínguez, Chiapas.
- Garita Tzimol - located near Comitán de Domínguez, Chiapas.
- Garita Quija - located 22 km northwest of Comitán de Domínguez, Chiapas, on Federal Highway 190.
Garitas in the Yucatán Peninsula
- Garita Nuevo Xcan - located 90 km southwest of Cancún, Quintana Roo, on Federal Highway 180.
- Garita Tepich, located 50 km south of Valladolid, Quintana Roo, on Federal Highway 295.
- Garita Caobas - located 80 km west of Chetumal, Quintana Roo, on Federal Highway 186.
- Garita Dziuché - located 42 km northwest of PolyucMuna, Quintana Roo, on Federal Highway 184.
- Garita El Ceibo - located 56 km west of Tenosique, Tabasco, on Federal Highway 203.