Garland High School
|Garland High School|
310 South Garland Avenue
|School type||Public high school|
|Motto||Enter to Learn, Go Forth to Serve|
|School district||Garland Independent School District|
|Superintendent||Dr. Ricardo López|
|Color(s)||Black & Gold|
|Website||Garland High School|
Garland High School is a public high school located in Garland, Texas, United States. Garland High School enrolls students in grades 9-12 and is a part of the Garland Independent School District. The school is a member of the AP program, the IB program, and is known for its football team, the Garland Owls.
It is the oldest of the district's high schools, having celebrated its 100-year anniversary in the 2001-2002 school year. The school celebrated its 70th anniversary at the current location (referring to the current building) in the 2006-2007 school year. Garland High School is also the Arts Magnet for the District with its Performing Arts Endorsement Program, and also renowned for its International Baccalaureate program.
At one point GHS acquired the former Handley School.
The school attracts many students from around the city because of its variety of rigorous academic programs such as the IB program and long history.
- IB Art - Students study art and design and are evaluated towards their final years on the merits of their Investigation Workbooks or art portfolio. This is followed by an art show and allows for students to independently evaluate themselves during the process.
School of Performing Arts
The School of Performing Arts was approved by the GISD School Board. Graduates of the School of Performing Arts receive the Performing Arts Endorsement, sequence of courses designed for the artistically gifted/talented student and offers the opportunity to concentrate on the Performing Arts and gain proficiency in chosen areas of concentration during the high school years, much as a Music or Theatre Major does in college.
Upon completion of the prescribed course of study, a Performing Arts Endorsement shall be awarded to the student. This endorsement will accompany their official transcript, along with an explanation of the endorsement and its criteria, and will become applicable to university study or future professional endeavors. The Performing Arts Endorsement has been reviewed by both university and secondary administration. It has received praise for both its inclusiveness and its practicality.
Performing Arts Endorsement Types
- Instrumental - Band
- Instrumental - Orchestra
- Vocal Music
- Piano Performance
- Theatre Arts - Performance
- Theatre Arts- Technical
- Classical Guitar
Note that IB Theatre and PAE are two different things but may also be done concurrently.
Garland High School has one of the most profound legacies of any school in its district, with its football team having won several state championships during its lifetime. In addition to football, Garland High School offers baseball, basketball, cross country, Dashing Debs (also known as the Drill Team), golf, gymnastics, marching band, soccer, softball, swimming, tennis, track, and volleyball. Garland is the only high school in its district to offer a swimming team. Garland is part of the UIL Class 5A for the 2013-2014 school year, but will be reclassified under UIL Class 6A Region 2 District 11 for the 2014-2015 school year.
This section does not cite any sources. (January 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Mookie Blaylock, Former NBA point guard for the New Jersey Nets, Atlanta Hawks, and Golden State Warriors, attended Oklahoma
- Johnny Yong Bosch, voice actor
- Bobby Boyd, 5 time All-Pro NFL defensive back for the Baltimore Colts and member of the all-decade team during the 1960s, attended Oklahoma
- Ike Diogu, Power Forward/Center for the Guangdong Southern Tigers, attended Arizona State and was 2 time Pac-10 player of the year
- Chuck Dicus, NFL wide receiver for the San Diego Chargers in the late 1960s and early 1970s and member of College Football Hall of Fame, attended Arkansas
- Joe Driver (Class of 1964), former member of the Texas House of Representatives
- Mike Gandy, Arizona Cardinals offensive lineman, played in Super Bowl XLIII, also played for the Chicago Bears and Buffalo Bills, attended Notre Dame
- David Koresh, leader of the Branch Davidians (see Waco Siege) (did not graduate)
- Randy Love, Former NFL running back for the St. Louis Cardinals from 1979–1985, attended University of Houston
- Uzooma Okeke, Award-winning CFL offensive lineman, attended SMU
- Adrian Phillips, NFL player
- Ricky Pierce, Former 2 time NBA 6th man of the year, attended Rice
- Casey Walker, NFL player
- Herkie Walls, NFL, European, Arena League running back, attended Texas
- Karl Williams, NFL, AFL, 9-year veteran for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Arizona Cardinals from 1996-2004. Also played in the Arena Football League for the Tampa Bay Storm, attended Texas A&I (now known as Texas A&M Kingsville).
- GISD Leadership Archived August 20, 2012, at the Wayback Machine
- "GARLAND H S". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 6, 2019.
- Leszcynski, Ray. "Billion-dollar facilities fix list steps up Garland ISD bond process." The Dallas Morning News. January 6, 2014. Retrieved on June 27, 2016.
- "2015 Accountability Rating System". Texas Education Agency. Archived from the original on 2016-04-22.
- garlandhistorical.org Archived 2008-11-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Garland ISD: School Spirit & History
- Himmelreich, Paul. Garland (Images of America). Arcadia Publishing, 2014. ISBN 1467132268, 9781467132268. p. 81.
- Himmelreich, Paul. Garland (Images of America). Arcadia Publishing, 2014. ISBN 1467132268, 9781467132268. p. 83.
- Garland Landmark Society - Photo Gallery - Schools Sports Entertainment Archived 2008-11-22 at the Wayback Machine
- Wiklonsky, Robert. "Shot at Garland High, Clay Liford's WUSS Among Titles at South by Southwest Film Fest." Dallas Observer. Wednesday February 2, 2011. Retrieved on July 1, 2016.
- http://www.garlandisdschools.net/page.cfm?p=1564. Retrieved February 19, 2009. Missing or empty
- "Performing Arts Faq". Archived from the original on 2016-04-17. Retrieved 2009-02-19.
- Actors In Spandex - Johnny Yong Bosch Archived 2016-03-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Obituary: David Koresh - People - News - The Independent
- Cummings, Tommy. "Who, what and where is Garland, Texas?" The Dallas Morning News. May 4, 2015. Retrieved on June 27, 2016.