Water tower in Garnavillo
|Motto: Gem of the Prairie|
Location of Garnavillo, Iowa
|• Total||1.02 sq mi (2.64 km2)|
|• Land||1.02 sq mi (2.64 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||1,063 ft (324 m)|
|• Estimate (2012)||729|
|• Density||730.4/sq mi (282.0/km2)|
|Time zone||Central (CST) (UTC-6)|
|• Summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|GNIS feature ID||0456844|
Garnavillo once served as county seat of Clayton County.
Garnavillo is located at (42.866978, -91.236087).
|Source:"American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. and Iowa Data Center
As of the census of 2010, there were 745 people, 332 households, and 201 families residing in the city. The population density was 730.4 inhabitants per square mile (282.0/km2). There were 359 housing units at an average density of 352.0 per square mile (135.9/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 98.3% White, 0.5% African American, 0.8% from other races, and 0.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.6% of the population.
There were 332 households of which 22.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.9% were married couples living together, 8.1% had a female householder with no husband present, 4.5% had a male householder with no wife present, and 39.5% were non-families. 35.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 22.3% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.16 and the average family size was 2.73.
The median age in the city was 48.5 years. 17.7% of residents were under the age of 18; 5.7% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 21.5% were from 25 to 44; 27.2% were from 45 to 64; and 27.9% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the city was 49.5% male and 50.5% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 754 people, 327 households, and 205 families residing in the city. The population density was 858.3 people per square mile (330.8/km²). There were 357 housing units at an average density of 406.4 per square mile (156.6/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 99.87% White and 0.13% African American.
There were 327 households out of which 23.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 50.2% were married couples living together, 7.6% had a female householder with no husband present, and 37.3% were non-families. 32.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.19 and the average family size was 2.72.
In the city, the population was spread out with 19.9% under the age of 18, 5.6% from 18 to 24, 21.5% from 25 to 44, 24.8% from 45 to 64, and 28.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 99.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 92.4 males.
The median income for a household in the city was $35,694, and the median income for a family was $44,107. Males had a median income of $27,000 versus $20,227 for females. The per capita income for the city was $20,964. About 2.4% of families and 9.3% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.8% of those under age 18 and 7.6% of those age 65 or over.
The town is home to Thoma's Dairy Bar, a diner and restaurant, serving American food and homemade pies and malts. Garnavillo Auction Company is located on Main Street and draws hundreds of people to the community for their auctions two times a month.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-07-14. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-05-11.
- "Population Estimates". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-06-17. Retrieved 2013-05-23.
- Price, Realto E. (1916). History of Clayton County, Iowa: From the Earliest Historical Times Down to the Present. Robert O. Law Company. p. 85.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on May 12, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garnavillo, Iowa.|
- Garnavillo Portal style community links website
- City-Data Comprehensive statistical data and more about Garnavillo