|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Sherwood Park—Fort Saskatchewan
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||district created|
|Born||1987 (age 30–31)|
Strathcona County, Alberta
|Children||Gianna, Judah, Lilly|
|Alma mater||Carleton University (BA)|
London School of Economics (MSc)
Garnett Genuis MP (born 1987) is a Canadian politician who was elected to represent the riding of Sherwood Park—Fort Saskatchewan (in Alberta) in the House of Commons of Canada in the 2015 federal election.
Genuis was born in 1987 and grew up in Strathcona County, before moving to attend Carleton University in Ottawa. While there, he wrote a regular column for the Sherwood Park News as a political correspondent. Genuis’ experience helped him to obtain a position as assistant to former Prime Minister Stephen Harper and advisor on the staff of former minister Rona Ambrose. Genuis then obtained a master's degree in Public Policy from the London School of Economics. Afterwards, he moved to the private sector as the vice president of a national research firm.
Genuis cites his grandparents as his primary political influences. His grandmother was a Holocaust survivor. His grandfather, who became politically active in the 1980s, was an engineer for an oil company in Alberta.
Genuis lives in Sherwood Park with his wife Rebecca, and their three children, Gianna, Judah, and Lilly. He has volunteered as a board member of the Saffron Sexual Assault Centre, a member of the Sherwood Park Rotary Club executive, and a member of the Knights of Columbus.
Prior to running in the 2015 federal election, Genuis ran in the 2012 Alberta general election as the Wildrose MLA candidate for Sherwood Park. He lost to Progressive Conservative candidate Cathy Olesen.
Genuis won the federal election on October 19, 2015, capturing 64% of the votes in the riding  and becoming its Member of Parliament. In November 2015, Genuis was appointed deputy critic for Human Rights & Religious Freedom. He served under head critic David Anderson.. On August 30, 2017, he was made Deputy Shadow Minister for Foreign Affairs, after leaving his previous position.
In March 2016, Genuis was named one of the most outspoken MPs in the House of Commons by Maclean’s Magazine. In November 2017, Genius was named Maclean's Parliamentarian of the Year, based on a vote by members of the House of Commons. Genius was the youngest recipient of the award.
|Canadian federal election, 2015: Sherwood Park—Fort Saskatchewan|
|New Democratic||Joanne Cave||6,540||9.81||-1.42||$15,416.14|
|Libertarian||Stephen C. Burry||678||1.02||*||$3,387.73|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||66,686||100.00||$228,934.10|
|Total rejected ballots||180||0.27||–|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|Alberta general election, 2012: Sherwood Park|
|Progressive Conservative||Cathy Olesen||8,747||45.62||-17.52|
|New Democratic||Sarah Michelin||1,210||6.31||+0.18|
|Alberta Party||Chris Kuchmak||230||1.20|
|Social Credit||Gordon Barrett||137||0.71|
|Total valid votes||19,173|
|Rejected, spoiled, and declined||184|
|Registered electors / Turnout||30,851||62.74||+15.06|
|Progressive Conservative hold||Swing||-24.27|
- "PARLINFO - Parliamentarian File - Contact Information - GENUIS, Garnett". Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Our Candidate". Garnett Genuis. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "Garnett Genuis | LinkedIn". ca.linkedin.com. Retrieved 2016-03-14.[permanent dead link]
- "Sherwood Park News - Sherwood_Park_News-1013". Virtual Paper. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Garnett Genuis, "Resumption of Debate on Address in Reply" on Dec. 8th, 2015 | openparliament.ca". openparliament.ca. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Garnett Genuis (@GarnettGenuis) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2016-03-15.
- "Wildrose candidate Garnett Genuis (Sherwood Par..." Sherwood Park News. Retrieved 2015-11-13.
- nurun.com. "Conservative Garnett Genuis wins local riding". Fort Saskatchewan Record. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- nurun.com. "Local MP Genuis named deputy critic". Fort Saskatchewan Record. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- "Figures of Speech". Macleans.ca. Retrieved 2016-03-14.
- Wells, Paul (November 7, 2017). "Garnett Genuis: The 2017 Parliamentarian of the Year - Macleans.ca". Macleans.ca. Retrieved November 8, 2017.
- "October 19, 2015 Election Results — Sherwood Park—Fort Saskatchewan (Validated results)". Elections Canada. 21 October 2015. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates