This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2020)
|Founded||1904 (as Laboratoires Garnier)|
|Headquarters||Centre Eugene Schueller|
41 Rue Martre Bureau
|Alfred Amour Garnier|
The company started as Laboratoires Garnier in 1904 by French creator Alfred Amour Garnier, through the launch of his first patented plant-based hair lotion, La Lotion Garnier. In the 1930s, Garnier was an early producer of sun-care items and the first to make a permanent home hair color in 1960. It was acquired by L'Oréal in the 1970s.
Expansion and products
Over the decades Garnier expanded from hair color and hair care into skincare since acquisition in 1970. It began with branding their image as healthy beauty expert, by providing nature-based solutions to combat pollution, acne, UV and fatigue. Incorporating natural ingredients– fruits, seeds, buds and flowers, are regarded by Garnier as having "highly beneficial" skincare and haircare properties.
A popular line, Fructis, started in 1996, is the Garner line of hair care and styling products. Garnier's hair color line, Nutrisse, was released in 2002. Amidst five divisions, Garnier currently have a variety of product lines such as:
- Ultimate Blends (Whole Blends in the USA)
- Pure Active
- Color Sensation
- Original remedies
- Hair Food
In 2011, Garnier partnered with TerraCycle to promote upcycling of product containers and the introduction of biodegradable products. Later in 2019, they partnered with an environmental group called GoodPlanet Foundation to create a new line of organic, natural cosmetics Garnier Bio/Bio Garnier.
In 2019, Garnier launched their virtual shade selector tool which allows customers to try on Garnier's range of permanent hair color options before making a purchase. The technology can be used either online or in stores selling the brand's products. The technology has been trialed by Walmart and Walgreens.
Western and Asia
Garnier hair care and skin care products is regarded in several countries as one of the most trusted brands particularly in Asia, China & India. Garnier is ranked worldwide #7 most valuable beauty brands for Brand Strength Index, according to Brand Finance.
Individual country data on Gartner, a member-based business intelligence firm that benchmarks the digital performance of brands per nation, Garnier is #3 fast-moving consumer goods in UK while FMCG ranked #10 in Germany. It ranked Top #21-29 for personal care in the United States in 2018 and 2019.
For Asia rankings, Brand Trust Report 2012, Garnier was ranked 73rd among India's most trusted brands and subsequently, according to the Brand Trust Report 2013, Garnier was ranked 47th among India's most trusted brands. In 2014 however, Garnier was ranked 83rd among India's most trusted brands according to the Brand Trust Report 2014, a study conducted by Trust Research Advisory, a brand analytics company.
- Jain, Subhash C. (2001). Marketing Planning & Strategy: Casebook - Subhash C. Jain - Google Books. ISBN 9780324062625. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "About Garnier". bizfluent.com. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- Kapferer, Jean-Noël (January 3, 2012). The New Strategic Brand Management: Advanced Insights and Strategic Thinking - Jean-Noel Kapferer - Google Books. ISBN 9780749465162. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- Rungfapaisarn, Kwanchai (August 6, 2010). "Garnier lifts itself up after recent unrest". Nationmultimedia.com. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "L'Oreal's Garnier Brand Announces Exclusive Partnership With TerraCycle® | SYS-CON MEDIA". Sys-con.com. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- "L'Oreal Partners with TerraCycle to Turn Product Waste Into Playgrounds". Reuters. April 18, 2011. Retrieved August 7, 2014.
- Anne Stych (February 11, 2019). "Garnier's organics launch includes eco-friendly farming initiative". bizjournals.com. Retrieved February 14, 2019.
- Shatzman, Celia. "Garnier Takes The Guesswork Out Of Choosing Hair Color With Their New Shade Selector Tool". Forbes. Retrieved October 16, 2019.
- O'Shea, Dan (February 21, 2019). "Walmart pilots Garnier's virtual hair-coloring tech in stores". Retail Dive. Retrieved October 16, 2019.
- Kim, Gemma. "L'Oreal Paris Ranked World's Most Valuable Beauty Brand". Fashionista. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- "FMCG UK 2019". Gartner L2: Benchmarking Digital Performance. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- "Brand Search". Gartner L2: Benchmarking Digital Performance. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- "India's Most trusted Brands 2014". Archived from the original on May 2, 2015.
- Franzino, April (April 15, 2019). "We Tested Over 1,000 Beauty Products to Find the Ones That Are Actually Worth Your Money". Good Housekeeping. Retrieved September 23, 2019.
- "Award Winning Beauty Products & Reviews 2018". Allure. Retrieved September 23, 2019.