Garry Holloway FGAA, DipDT, JAA Appraiser, left a career in geology and in 1976 established Melbourne diamond design award-winning jeweller, Precious Metals. In 1984 he studied the Fire Scope while undertaking the Gemological Association of Australia's Diamond Diploma. This led to a long and passionate interest in diamond cut.
After the publication of the Gemological Institute of America's 'brilliance' report in 1998 this passion became a crusade to improve the cut quality of all diamonds.
Garry developed the Holloway Cut Adviser (HCA) system in 2000, and released a portable Ideal-Scope in 2001. In 2004 he was both one of the four Cut Group organizer and a speaker at the 1st International Diamond Cut Conference (IDCC) in Moscow, Russia. The HCA has been used to grade the cut quality of millions of dollars of diamonds in its first year, and billions over the past decade. Holloway's HCA patent was granted on 31 July 2007. His diamond-cut consultancy has strong alliances with leading international diamond researchers and websites.
- Gem Evaluation Method Earns Patent, Rapaport News, August 2008
- GIA's Response to Letter to the Editor of the Australian Gemologist Pricescope Diamond Journal, 24 February 2007
- GIA Excellent Cut Grade Case Study Pricescope Diamond Journal, 14 March 2006
- Ideal-Scope Diamond System International Diamond Cut Conference (IDCC), January 2004
- Ideal-Scope Reference Chart Ideal-Scope Website
- International Diamond Cut Conference
- Vision Impacts Sparkle http://www.rapnet.com/News/NewsItem.aspx?ArticleID=47559&RDRIssueID=0&ArticleTitle=Vision+Impacts+Sparkle
- How diamond performance attributes: Brilliance, Scintillation and Fire depend on human vision features http://www.gem.org.au/ckfinder/userfiles/files/GAA_Journal_V25_No3_web2(1).pdf