Garuda Wisnu Kencana
Mandala Garuda Wisnu Kencana, or Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK), is a ± 60 ha area of cultural park located in Ungasan, Badung Regency or about 10–15 minutes driving from Bali Ngurah Rai International Airport. It is devoted to the Hindu God Vishnu, and his mount, Garuda, the mythical bird who become his companion.
Currently, the statue of Vishnu is 23 metres (75.5 ft) high, although the original plan was for a 120-metre (390 ft) gold-plated Vishnu riding Garuda on top of an 11-storey entertainment complex. Garuda wing span will be 64 metres (210.0 ft) across. When it's completed, it will be higher than Liberty statue in USA and become the largest statue in the world. The idea was not without controversy, and religious authorities on the island complained that its massive size might disrupt the spiritual balance of the island, and that its commercial nature was inappropriate, but some groups agree with the project, because it will make new tourist attraction over barren land.
In 2013 Nyoman Nuarta and PT Alam Sutera Realty Tbk (IDX:ASRI) joined to build villas and apartments in the GWK area in exchange for Rp150 billion ($14.4 million). Nuarta plans to spend Rp20 billion to make another bust and to move the existing bust to another site 300 meters from the original site. It plans to spend additional p29 billion to make the new statue of stainless steel instead of galvanized steel as proposed previous design.
Multy role site
In mid-2013, GWK site become a prestigious venue and has been chosen to host many large scaled and international events. Everyday almost 3,000 tourists visit GWK site.
- On 20 February 2011, British heavy metal band Iron Maiden played the first rock concert at the venue in the Final Frontier Tour with ticket sold out to over 7,000 fans.
- On 17 August 2011, American rock band Paramore played the second date of their Pacific Rim Tour at the venue. This was also their last tour in 2011.
- On 25 July 2012, the Opening Banquet of the 60th World Convention of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International was held here.
- This is also a venue of Miss World 2013 which was held on September 2013.
- "MAGISNYA PESONA PULAU DEWATA – BAGIAN 2". Retrieved August 31, 2012.
- "Nuarta ‘resurrects’ tallest Wisnu statue". July 24, 2013.
- "Success at last for Bali’s tallest monument". August 18, 2013.