Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park
Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park (Indonesian: Taman Budaya Garuda Wisnu Kencana) or GWK, is a cultural park located at Ungasan, Badung in the island of Bali, Indonesia about 10–15 minutes driving from Ngurah Rai International Airport. It is devoted to the Hindu God Vishnu, and his mount, Garuda, the mythical bird who became his companion. Planned to be established of a landmark or mascot of Bali, construction of the giant statue of Lord Vishnu who was riding his mount Garuda, as high as 120 meters is currently going on.
The park has a land area of about 60 hectares and located at an altitude of 146 meters above ground level or 263 meters above sea level. In the area there is also a Statue of Garuda which is directly behind the Plaza Wisnu is Garuda Plaza where the statue as high as 18 meters Garuda placed temporarily. At this moment, Garuda Plaza becomes the focal point of a large corridor of carved limestone pillars covering over 4000 square meters of open space i.e. Lotus Pond . The colossal limestone columns and monumental sculptures of Lotus Pond Garuda make a very exotic space. With a space capacity capable of accommodating up to 7000 people, Lotus Pond has earned a good reputation as the perfect venue for holding major events and international events. There is also a statue of Vishnu's hand which is part of the statue of Lord Vishnu. This is one step closer to completing the complete Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue. This work is placed temporarily in the area of Tirta Agung .
Garuda Wisnu Kencana monument
Designed to be the Indonesia’s tallest statue, Garuda Wisnu Kencana was inspired by Hindu mythology about the search for Amerta (the elixir of life). According to this myth, Garuda agreed to be ridden by Lord Wisnu in return for the right to use the elixir to liberate his enslaved mother.The idea was not without controversy, and religious authorities on the island complained that its massive size might disrupt the spiritual balance of the island, and that its commercial nature was inappropriate, but some groups agree with the project, because it will make new tourist attraction over barren land.
In 2013 Nyoman Nuarta and PT Alam Sutera Realty Tbk (IDX:ASRI) joined to build villas and apartments in the GWK area in exchange for Rp150 billion ($14.4 million). Nuarta plans to spend Rp20 billion to make another bust and to move the existing bust to another site 300 meters from the original site. It plans to spend additional Rp29 billion to make the new statue of stainless steel instead of galvanized steel as proposed previous design.
The 75-m tall, 65-m wide statue, sits atop a lofty pedestal that will bring the total height of the monument to 121-m, nearly 30-m taller than the Statue of Liberty of the United States. The completed monument will be about as tall as a 21-story building. It will weigh 4,000 tons, thus, making it the heaviest statue in the country. The statue is made of copper and brass sheeting, with a stainless steel frame and skeleton, as well as a steel and concrete core column. The outer covering alone measures 22,000 square m in size. The crown of Wisnu will be covered with golden mosaics and the whole statue will have a special lighting arrangement. The monument is expected to be completed by 2018.
- Wisnu Plaza is the highest land in GWK area where our temporary place is the most important part of the statue of Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue of Vishnu. At certain times of the day, there will be some traditional Balinese performance with magnificent statues of Vishnu as a backdrop. Due to its high location, you can see the surrounding panorama. The statue of Vishnu, as the focal point of Wisnu Plaza, is surrounded by fountains and well water near the sacred he said never dry even in the dry season. Parahyangan Somaka Giri is placed next to the statue of Vishnu. This is where the water is located, which historically has been trusted by the people of the area as a blessing with a powerful magical power to cure his illness and ask the gods for rain during the dry season. Because of its location on the high ground (on a hill), this natural phenomenon is considered a saint and a local is believed to be holy water.
- Street Theater is the starting point and end of the visit to Garuda Wisnu Kencana Cultural Park. Here we can find many shops and restaurants in one place and where all the celebrations take place. You can get Bali souvenir and GWK merchandise especially at GWK Souvenir Shop and Bali Art Market . We can even find Balinese spa and aromatherapy products in this shop. While here, why not try Balinese foot reflexology after a long walk. We can taste good food at the best prices just in our food court, Theater Food, and our newest restaurant, The Veranda with all you can eat package. At several times a day, we can enjoy shopping and eating while accompanied by the performance of Bali especially like barong, rindik and parade.
- Lotus Pond is the largest outdoor area in Garuda Wisnu Kencana (GWK) and Taman Budaya, most likely, in Bali. Thus, Lotus Pond is the right place and only for holding large-scale outdoor events. Over the years, GWK has been trusted for large scale held, both nationally and internationally, events at Lotus Pond such as music concerts, international gatherings, major parties. Lotus Pond is a unique place with limestone pillars on the sides and a magnificent statue of Garuda in the background. Lotus Pond starts from the lotus.The lotus is the main symbol of beauty, prosperity and fertility. Vishnu also always carries lotus flowers in his hands and almost all the gods of the Hindu gods who sit on the lotus or carry flowers.Some interesting facts are that the lotus plant grows in water, has its roots in illus or mud, and spreading flowers in the air above. Thus, the lotus symbolizes human life as well as that of the cosmos. The lotus root drowned in the mud is a material life. Stalks passing through water symbolize existence in the astral world. Flowers floating on the water and opening to the sky are a mild spiritual emblematical.
- Indraloka Garden:This park is named Indraloka after the heaven of Indra God because of the beautiful panoramic view. Indraloka Garden is one of the most favorite places in Garuda Wisnu Kencana to hold small, medium-sized parties, wedding gathering and ceremonies. We can see the view of Bali from above Indraloka Garden.
- Amphitheater:Amphitheater is an outdoor venue for special shows with well-designed acoustics. Every afternoon you can watch the famous and free Kecak dance that is around 18.30 s / d 19.30 WITA . Even this Kecak Dance can be collaborated with other regional dances.
- Tirta Agung:Tirta Agung is the perfect outdoors space for medium events. You can also visit the Wisnu Hand statue, part of the Garuda Wisnu Kencana statue located nearby.
Multi role site
The site has been chosen to host many large-scale and international events. Every day, it attracts "up to 3,000 visitors".
- On 20 February 2011, British heavy metal band Iron Maiden played the first rock concert at the venue in the Final Frontier Tour with ticket sold out to over 7,000 fans.
- On 17 August 2011, American rock band Paramore played the second date of their Pacific Rim Tour at the venue. This was also their last tour in 2011.
- On 25 July 2012, the Opening Banquet of the 60th World Convention of the Full Gospel Business Men's Fellowship International was held here.
- "Mengukir Bukit Kapur Ungasan Menjadi Taman Budaya". Kompas. Retrieved 30 November 2017.
- "Nuarta 'resurrects' tallest Wisnu statue". July 24, 2013. Archived from the original on July 24, 2013.
- "Success at last for Bali's tallest monument". August 18, 2013.
- "Flight of the Garuda". The Jakarta Post. Retrieved 30 November 2017.