Garve railway station
|Scottish Gaelic: Gairbh|
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||2|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Original company||Dingwall and Skye Railway|
|19 August 1870||Opened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Garve from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK Railways portal|
Garve railway station is a railway station on the Kyle of Lochalsh Line, serving the village of Garve in the north of Scotland. Garve is located at the eastern edge of Loch Garve. It was to be the junction for the Ullapool and Garve Railway, intended to connect Ullapool, the Western Isles' nearest mainland port, with the rest of the UK. An act of parliament was passed for the line in 1890, but in spite of local efforts in that year, and again two years later, the idea could not be fully financed and was abandoned.
The first of the Kyle line's three passing loops is located here and trains are occasionally timetabled to cross, though the loop points work automatically and all movements are controlled using the Radio Electronic Token Block system which was installed by British Rail and is supervised from the signalling centre at Inverness.
From Monday to Saturday, there are four daily services to Kyle of Lochalsh and four daily services in the opposite direction to Inverness. There is one service in each direction on Sundays all year, with a second during the summer months only.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Kyle of Lochalsh Line
Dingwall and Skye Railway
- Butt (1995), page 101
- GB National Rail Timetable 15 May - 10 December 2016, Table 239
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- "Garve station on navigable O.S. map".
- "Dingwall and Skye Railway". RailScot. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Garve railway station.|
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|