Gary B. Pruitt
Pruitt was born in Virginia and grew up in Satellite Beach, Florida. He received a B.A. degree from the University of Florida and received his masters in public policy from University of California, Berkeley and a J.D. degree from the UC Berkeley School of Law.
Pruitt was counsel for McClatchy from 1984 to 1987, corporate Secretary and General Counsel from 1987 to 1998, publisher for the Fresno Bee from 1991 to 1994, general counsel from 1987 to 1991, and Vice President, Operations and Technology from 1991 to 1994. He was Chief Operating Officer from 1995 to 1996. He became President starting in 1995, Chief Executive Officer in 1996, and Chairman in 2001.
He is a former chairman of the Newspaper Association of America and James Irvine Foundation and a former vice chairman of the Associated Press Board of Directors. He serves on the Advisory Board of the USC Annenberg Center on Communication Leadership & Policy.
- "A CEO's Passion for Papers - Los Angeles Times". Articles.latimes.com. 2006-03-14. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Gary Pruitt - News, Articles, Biography, Photos - WSJ.com". Topics.wsj.com. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "Profile of Gary Pruitt, McClatchy's Man Behind KR Deal | Editor & Publisher | Professional Journal archives from". AllBusiness.com. 2006-03-12. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Paterno, Susan. "McClatchy Through the Years | American Journalism Review". Ajr.org. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "The McClatchy Company". Mcclatchy.com. Archived from the original on 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
Patrick J. Talamantes