Gary Brown (baseball)
Brown with the San Jose Giants
|Born: September 28, 1988|
Diamond Bar, California
|September 3, 2014, for the San Francisco Giants|
|September 28, 2014, for the San Francisco Giants|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2014 season)
|Runs batted in||1|
After graduating from Diamond Bar High School, Brown attended California State University, Fullerton, where he played college baseball for the Cal State Fullerton Titans baseball team. Brown was a near consensus All-American in his final season. He was selected by the San Francisco Giants in the first round (24th overall) of the 2010 First-Year Player Draft. He signed for a $1.45 million bonus. He made his professional debut with the Rookie-level Arizona Giants of the Arizona League and finished the 2010 season with the Single-A Salem-Keizer Volcanoes of the Northwest League. Overall, he hit .159 with two runs batted in (RBI) and two stolen bases in twelve games played.
Brown played the 2011 season with the Single-A Advanced San Jose Giants of the California League. He was named California League Rookie of the Year. Brown was also selected to participate in the 2011 All-Star Futures Game at Chase Field in Phoenix, Arizona. For the season, he batted .336 in 559 at bats and set a franchise record for hits with 188. He also had 13 triples, 14 home runs and 80 RBIs while stealing 53 bases in 72 attempts. He was named an outfielder on Baseball America's 2011 Minor League All Star team. Brown was added to the Giants 40-man roster on November 20, 2013.
Brown was called up to the majors for the first time on September 2, 2014. He made his MLB debut the next day.
On March 31, 2015, Brown was designated for assignment by the Giants. He was claimed by the St. Louis Cardinals. Brown was designated by the Cardinals on April 21, and claimed by the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on April 22. He was sent to the Triple–A Salt Lake Bees. Brown was released by the Angels in March 2016.
- Tolegian, Aram (June 6, 2010). "MLB DRAFT: Former Diamond Bar High standout Brown chosen by Giants". Pasadena Star News. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "Former Cal State Fullerton alum Gary Brown just happy to be in the majors at last". Orange County Register. September 22, 2014. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "Baseball Reference Minors". Baseball-Reference.com. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- "Gary Brown Named Cal League Rookie of the Year". Ww2.minorleaguebaseball.com. August 31, 2011. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- Haft, Chris (June 23, 2011). "Brown to represent Giants at Futures Game". MLB.com. Retrieved August 8, 2011.
- "Extra Baggs Blog". Blogs.mercurynews.com. August 30, 2011. Retrieved November 21, 2013.
- J.J. Cooper and Matt Eddy (September 16, 2011). "2011 Minor League All-Star Team". Baseball America. Retrieved October 2, 2011.
- Haft, Chris (November 20, 2013). "Giants add '10 top pick Brown to 40-man roster". MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Schulman, Henry (September 2, 2014). "Big day for Giants' Gary Brown, Brett Bochy". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Schulman, Henry (March 31, 2015). "Justin Maxwell makes Giants, Gary Brown designated". San Francisco Chronicle. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Simon, Andrew (April 3, 2015). "Cardinals claim Brown off waivers from Giants". MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- "Naval Academy grad Harris called up to majors by Cardinals". ESPN.com. Associated Press. April 21, 2015. Retrieved April 22, 2015.
- Gonzalez, Alden (April 22, 2015). "Angels claim Brown off waivers from Cardinals". MLB.com. Retrieved April 22, 2015.