Gary Browne (basketball)
Browne with Ironi Nes Ziona in March 2019
|No. 1 – Ironi Nes Ziona|
|League||Israeli Premier League|
FIBA Europe Cup
|Born||March 24, 1993|
Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Arlington Country Day School|
|College||West Virginia (2011–2015)|
|NBA draft||2015 / Undrafted|
|2015||Maratonistas de Coamo|
|2016–2018||Atléticos de San Germán|
|2017–present||Ironi Nes Ziona|
|Career highlights and awards|
Gary Browne Ramírez (born March 24, 1993) is a Puerto Rican professional basketball player for Ironi Nes Ziona of the Israeli Premier League. He was named the BSN Most Valuable Player and Most Improved Player after a breakthrough season with Atléticos de San Germán in 2017. He was also named as a reserve for the league All-Star Game.
Early life and high school
Gary Browne Ramírez was born in Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico to Gary Browne, Sr. and Anamaris Rodríguez. However, he was raised in San Juan, Puerto Rico, specifically in Cupey. He started playing basketball since he was a child. At the age of 14, he moved to the United States and attended Arlington Country Day School in Jacksonville, Florida.
In 2011, Browne enrolled at West Virginia University and joined the Mountaineers basketball team. He played with the team for four seasons, averaging 6.2 points per game. As a senior, he averaged 7.0 points per game. He sprained his ankle in February 2015. After graduating, Browne made himself eligible for the 2015 NBA Draft, but went undrafted.
Puerto Rico (2015–2018)
In 2015, Browne joined the Maratonistas de Coamo of the BSN league in Puerto Rico. He played in a total of 7 games, averaging 4 points and 1.9 assists per game. However, he did not play in the 2016 season. That year, the Atléticos de San Germán acquired the rights to Browne. He said in an interview that he took the off-year to prepare himself physically for the 2017 season.
Browne began the 2017 season as San Germán's starting point guard. He led the league in assists all through the season, finishing with an average of 7.5 per game. Browne's performance led his team into the playoffs, where they were eliminated by the Piratas de Quebradillas. Browne finished the season with averages of 11.9 points and 6.4 rebounds per game, and improved to 14.6 points, 8.2 rebounds, and 7.8 assists per game in the playoffs. In July 19, he was named the league's Most Improved Player. Two weeks later, he was awarded the Most Valuable Player.
On June 7, 2018, Browne re-signed with Atléticos de San Germán for the 2018 BSN Season. In 19 games played during the 2018 season, Browne averaged 17.1 points, 6.3 rebounds, 7.2 assists and 1.5 steals per game.
On August 2, 2017, Browne signed with the Israeli team Ironi Nes Ziona for the 2017–18 season. On April 28, 2018, Browne recorded a career-high 32 points, shooting 6-of-10 from three-point range, along with six rebounds and six assists in a 101–91 win over Maccabi Rishon LeZion. Browne helped Nes Ziona to reach the 2018 Israeli League Playoffs, where they eventually lost to Maccabi Tel Aviv in the Quarterfinals.
On July 1, 2018, Browne signed a one-year contract extension with Ironi Nes Ziona. On January 19, 2019, Browne recorded a season-high 28 points, shooting 9-of-11 from the field, along with four rebounds, six assists and two steals, leading Nes Ziona to a 103–93 comeback win over Ironi Nahariya. He was subsequently named Israeli League Round 15 MVP.
Browne is a member of the Puerto Rico national basketball team.
In August 2018, Browne helped the Puerto Rican team to win the 2018 Central American and Caribbean Games Championship and earning a gold medal.
- "Gary Browne gana el galardón de Jugador Más Valioso en el BSN". El Nuevo Día. July 27, 2017.
- González, Carlos (July 27, 2017). "Gary Browne es el MVP del BSN". Primera Hora.
- Fuentes, Christian (May 23, 2017). "Anuncian los reservas del Juego de Estrellas BSN". Metro.
- "Gary Browne Stats, Bio". ESPN. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- Taylor, Allan (March 6, 2015). "Senior moments highlight Saturday's regular-season finale". West Virginia Metro News. Retrieved April 18, 2018.
- "Gary Browne gana el Premio de Progreso del Año". El Nuevo Día. July 19, 2017. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Alzaga, Raül (April 13, 2017). "Gary Browne busca establecerse en el BSN". Primera Hora. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- Álzaga, Raúl. "Gary Browne brilla en el BSN". Primera Hora. Retrieved 11 September 2017.
- "Atléticos de San Germán".
- "Gary Browne debutará con los Atléticos de San Germán". elnuevodia.com (in Spanish). June 7, 2018. Retrieved June 14, 2018.
- "Gary Browne Ramirez signs with Ironi Nes Ziona". Sportando.com. August 2, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- "Winner League, Game 27: M. Rishon Vs Nes Ziona". basket.co.il. April 28, 2018. Retrieved May 6, 2018.
- "Gary Browne re-sign with Ironi Nes-Ziona". Sportando.com. July 1, 2018. Retrieved July 1, 2018.
- "מצטיין מחזור 15: גארי בראון-רמירז". basket.co.il (in Hebrew). January 22, 2019. Retrieved January 22, 2019.