|Born||May 23, 1933|
|Died||March 7, 2018|
|Alma mater||UC Berkeley|
|Known for||Pop music album covers|
At the age of 16, he joined the Marine Corps. He studied architectural design at UC Berkeley. In the 1960s and 1970s, he designed covers for many rock stars, such as Mama Cass, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Eagles and Jackson Browne. He created album covers for Neil Young for 35 years.
His works were nominated for four Grammy Awards, and, at the 52nd Annual Grammy Awards in 2010, he won the award for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Packaging for the Neil Young The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972.
Burden collaborated with photographer Henry Diltz. In 2000 they made a documentary California Rock: Under the Covers, depicting their album cover works and participation in the Los Angeles rock scene.
He was married to Jenice Heo.
- Genzlinger, Neil (March 16, 2018). "Gary Burden, Designer of Famous Album Covers, Dies at 84". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2018-03-19. Retrieved March 19, 2018.
- Hale, Mike. "California Rock: Under the Covers". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Phelan, J. Greg (2003-11-06). "It's Got a Good Beat, But Where's the Cover?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- Delatiner, Barbara (2002-04-21). "THE GUIDE". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Profile, tcm.com; accessed March 11, 2018.
- Gary Burden for R. Twerk - Gary Burden's personal website
- The Doors by Gary Burden (arts.guardian.co.uk)
|This article about an artist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|