Gary Burden is an American artist specializing in the field of album covers. He is considered as one of the pioneers of the concept of album cover art. In the 1960s and 1970s he designed covers for many rock stars, such as Mama Cass, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Eagles and Jackson Browne. He created album covers for Neil Young for 35 years. His works were nominated four times for the Grammy Awards. and in 2010, he won the 52nd Grammy Awards for Best Boxed or Special Limited Edition Packaging for the Neil Young The Archives Vol. 1 1963–1972. The titles of creative director, art director and designer are mutually shared amongst Gary Burden, Jenice Heo and Neil Young who collaborated throughout the design process.
Burden collaborated with renowned photographer Henry Diltz. In 2000 they made a documentary California Rock: Under the Covers, depicting their album cover works and participation in the Los Angeles rock scene.
- Hale, Mike. "California Rock: Under the Covers". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Phelan, J. Greg (2003-11-06). "It's Got a Good Beat, But Where's the Cover?". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-10-31.
- Delatiner, Barbara (2002-04-21). "THE GUIDE". The New York Times. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Dominic, Serene (2006-08-25). "Pot Shots". Phoenix New Times. Retrieved 2009-12-05.
- Turner Classic Movies
- Gary Burden for R. Twerk - Gary Burden's personal website
- The Doors by Gary Burden (arts.guardian.co.uk)
|This article about an artist from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|