Gary C. Kelly
|Gary C. Kelly|
|Alma mater||University of Texas at Austin|
|Known for||Chairman & CEO of Southwest Airlines|
Kelly first met his wife Carol in eighth grade and they married in 1976. They are the parents of two daughters.
Kelly first joined Southwest Airlines in 1986 as Controller. In 1989, Kelly was promoted to Chief Financial Officer and Vice President of Finance. In 2001, he was promoted to Executive Vice President. Kelly spent 3 years in this role until he was promoted to his current position as CEO and vice chairman in 2004 replacing James Parker who succeeded Herb Kelleher in 2001.
Kelly was named Chairman of the Board of Directors of Southwest Airlines on May 21, 2008, replacing co-founder Herb Kelleher. Gary Kelly also became president of Southwest Airlines the same year, replacing Colleen Barrett when her contract expired on July 15, 2008.
As CEO, Kelly has guided the airline to become the largest carrier of domestic passengers in the United States. He has led the company through a number of transformative, large-scale initiatives including the revamp of the airline’s Rapid Rewards program, the introduction of the Boeing 737-800 and 737 MAX aircraft to Southwest’s fleet, the acquisition of AirTran Airways, the launching of Southwest's first international service, an update to the airline’s branding, the adoption of the Amadeus reservation system, and large expansion projects at the company’s corporate headquarters in Dallas.
On January 10, 2017, Kelly announced changes to the Company's executive Leadership ranks with Thomas M. Nealon named as President and Michael G. Van de Ven named as the airline's Chief Operating Officer. These changes were effective immediately. Kelly retained the title of Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
Awards and Recognition
In 2014, Kelly received the Advertising Innovation and Marketing Excellence (AIME) Award.
In 2017, Fortune named Kelly the #3 most underrated CEO in America (after Satya Nadella and Jeff Bezos) based on a survey of Fortune 500 CEOs asking them which of their fellow CEOs do not get enough credit. Kelly received 85 votes.
- "Southwest Airlines CEO is defining himself as a leader — without bag fees". Dallas News. April 19, 2010.
- "Biography: Gary C. Kelly". CEO Exchange. June 5, 2007.
- Southwest Airlines Names New Chairman of the Board[permanent dead link]
- "Southwest Airlines racks up another award thanks to CEO Gary Kelly". Dallas Culturemap. July 12, 2014.
- "Southwest CEO sees BWI as international gateway". The Baltimore Sun. February 20, 2015.
- "Rapid Rewards revamp is just one of Southwest Airlines' big changes". Los Angeles Times. February 26, 2011.
- "Southwest to buy larger jets". The Spokesman-Review. December 16, 2010.
- "Southwest receives first delivery of Boeing 737 MAX". Yahoo! Finance. August 30, 2017.
- "Southwest Airlines Acquires AirTran". Seattle Post-Intelligencer. September 27, 2010.
- "Now middle-aged, Southwest Airlines will change the paint job on it airplanes". The Blade. September 8, 2014.
- "Southwest Airlines turns on new reservations system". Fort Worth Star-Telegram. May 9, 2017.
- "See Southwest Airlines' new $250 million addition to fast-growing Love Field campus". Dallas News. April 3, 2018.
- "Southwest Airlines Announces Executive Promotions". Southwest Airlines Newsroom. Retrieved 2018-05-02.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-02-22. Retrieved 2014-12-20.
- "Southwest Airlines CEO Gary Kelly named Tony Jannus Award winner". Tampa Bay Times. May 20, 2016.
- "These Are the Most Over and Underrated CEOs". Fortune. February 16, 2017.
- Gary C. Kelly's executive profile
- CEO of the Year (Again!): Gary Kelly of Southwest Airlines
- Nuts About Southwest Blog
- Gary C. Kelly Shares His Views on Leadership (Video)
- Gary C. Kelly on Becoming CEO of Southwest Airlines (Video)
- Gary C. Kelly Describes A Story of Caring (Video)
- Southwest Airlines Employee Testimonials (Video)
|This article about a chief executive from the United States is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|