Dourdan in 2008
|Born||Gary Robert Durdin
December 11, 1966
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
|Spouse(s)||Roshumba Williams (1992–1994; divorced)|
Jennifer Sutton (1995-2000)
Dourdan was born Gary Robert Durdin in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, the son of Sandy, a teacher and fashion designer, and Robert Durdin, an entrepreneur and agent for jazz musicians. Dourdan is the fourth of five children. When he was six, his 21year-old brother Darryl died by falling from a balcony in Haiti while "doing research on the family lineage". The case remains unsolved. In his youth he moved with his family to Willingboro, New Jersey. During that time, his interests included acting, music, and martial arts. Later, Dourdan moved to New York City and worked as a doorman at a rehearsal studio, where he met some of Manhattan's promising young artists.
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (July 2014)|
Dourdan played in several bands in New York City in the early 1990s and acted in regional theatre around the tristate area. He received his first break when Debbie Allen cast him as Shazza Zulu on A Different World, based on a tape of him in an avant-garde play. In 1996, Dourdan appeared in the Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman episode "Never On Sunday", where he played Ziggy, an assistant to Baron Sunday. In 1997, Dourdan played the character Christie, the first mate, crack-shot, and second in command of the spaceship Betty, in the film Alien: Resurrection. He also appears in the films Playing God and Thursday, and on television starred in the Dick Wolf production Swift Justice and played a recurring role on the Showtime series Soul Food until he nabbed the part of Warrick Brown on CSI: Crime Scene Investigation. In 2007, he played the character Cameron, the boyfriend of Rowena Price (Halle Berry), in the film Perfect Stranger.
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation
Dourdan's most popular role was as a cast member of the original CSI series, which debuted on October 6, 2000. He played analyst Warrick Brown, who, viewers find out, has a checkered past fraught with gambling problems. By working in Las Vegas, the character is able to use his personal experiences from the street to help him throughout his career. Ultimately, he ends up battling his demons throughout the show instead of overcoming them.
In 2008, there was media speculation surrounding Dourdan's CSI contract negotiations with CBS. The parties could not reach a resolution, and as a result his contract was not renewed. It was reported on April 14, 2008, that Dourdan was leaving the show. In the Season 8 finale, Dourdan's character was shot and left for dead at the episode's end. The Season 9 premiere revealed Dourdan's character dying in the arms of his colleague and friend Gil Grissom.
Music and music videos
- Dourdan played Janet Jackson's love interest in the video for her 1993 hit "Again".
- He had a cameo appearance in the music video "Move the Crowd" by Eric B. & Rakim.
- Dourdan joined hip hop artist DMC (of Run–D.M.C.) onstage at the Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ontario, Canada.
- He sang alongside Macy Gray at the 2005 Emmy Awards.
- Dourdan is an alternative musician and a record producer.
- He played political prisoner/Black Revolutionary George Jackson in the movie Black August.
- He acted in A Different World as Shazza Zulu (1991–92).
- He portrayed Malcolm X in the TV movie King of the World.
- TV Guide voted him the Sexiest CSI actor on TV in its 2008 "Sexiest" issue.
- He was the host of a BET spoken word show entitled Lyric Cafe.
- He played a supporting role in 2007's Perfect Stranger.
- In 2008 he voiced the character Crispus Allen in three of the six short films for Batman: Gotham Knight. The animated short films were released straight to DVD and chronicled the time in between the films Batman Begins (2005) and The Dark Knight (2008).
- He portrayed Ray Carter in the video games FlatOut 2 and FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage.
- He portrayed Chef McKenna in the 2011 film Jumping the Broom.
- He was also featured in the film, Weekend at Bernie's 2, where he played a member of a money laundering cartel. He had no character name in the movie, but in the credits, he is known as Cartel Man #2.
- Also he showed up in few episodes of serial Glee as a compositor (season 5)
- Last his role was in serial "Mistresses" of an ex police officer
- Also Recurring Role Of Being Mary Jane (Season 2)
Dourdan married model Roshumba Williams in 1992; they divorced two years later. He has two children: a son, Lyric, with Cynthia Hadden, and a daughter, Nyla, with Jennifer Sutton, whom Dourdan dated from 1995 to 2000.
He collects classic cars and was featured on Season 1, Episode 3, of Street Customs.
In November 2011, he was arrested for felony battery after allegedly breaking his girlfriend's nose and placed on five years probation. He was also ordered to attend 52 weeks of domestic violence counselling and to stay away from the victim for five years. Owing to his history of drug problems, he was also ordered to undergo drug counselling.
- "Gary Dourdan Biography (1966-)". Filmreference.com. Retrieved August 10, 2011.
- Faillaci, Sara (August 4, 2005). "Gary Dourdan Experiences". Vanity Fair. Archived from the original on January 8, 2007. Retrieved October 10, 2008.
- "About Gary Dourdan". Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- "Exclusive: Gary Dourdan Leaving CSI". TV Guide.
- Episode Recap: "For Warrick", CBS.
- "Gary Dourdan - About This Person", NYTimes.com Movies & TV.
- Sexiest stars winners & nominees, TV Guide. May 5, 2008.
- "Gary Dourdan", NNDB.com. Retrieved April 28, 2008.
- "Gary Dourdan biography", Television AOL.com. Retrieved May 5, 2008.
- "Gary Dourdan: Guilty, But No Jail". TMZ.com. May 28, 2008. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "'CSI' STAR 'Hillbilly Heroin' Charge DROPPED". TMZ.com. August 20, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Ex-CSI Star Gary Dourdan Punished in Domestic Violence Case". TMZ.com. November 29, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2015.
- "Files For Bankruptcy These Bills Are Killing Me!". TMZ.com. November 12, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2015.