Gary Evans (golfer)
|Full name||Gary Evans|
22 February 1969 |
Rustington, West Sussex, England
|Height||5 ft 10 in (1.78 m)|
|Weight||168 lb (76 kg; 12.0 st)|
|Residence||Dubai, United Arab Emirates|
|Former tour(s)||European Tour|
|Best results in major championships
|The Open Championship||T5: 2002|
|PGA Championship||T51: 2003|
Evans was born in Rustington, West Sussex. As an amateur, he won the Brabazon Trophy in 1990 and 1991 (shared both times), and represented Great Britain & Ireland in the 1991 Walker Cup. He turned professional later that year.
Evans earned membership of the European Tour on his first visit to the qualifying school. He was a consistent performer on the European Tour throughout his career, finishing inside the top 100 on the Order Of Merit every season he played from 1992 through 2004 (he missed the 1995 season with a wrist injury), with a best of 21st place in 2002. Back and shoulder problems which eventually required surgery brought a premature end to his 2005 season, and he retired at the end of 2006 having never won a tournament on the European Tour.
The highlight of Evans' career came at the 2002 Open Championship at Muirfield where he was in contention on the final day and finished in a tie for fifth place, just one stroke outside the four man play-off, eventually won by Ernie Els.
Amateur wins (5)
- 1986 English Boys Championship
- 1990 Brabazon Trophy (tied with Olivier Edmond), Lytham Trophy
- 1991 Brabazon Trophy (tied with Mark Pullan), Lytham Trophy
Results in major championships
|The Open Championship||CUT||DNP||CUT||CUT||CUT||T35||DNP||DNP||DNP||73||DNP|
|The Open Championship||DNP||DNP||T5||T10||T20|
DNP = Did not play
CUT = missed the half-way cut
"T" = tied
Yellow background for top-10.
- Sussex Schools and English Schools: 1985
- Sussex Boys, Youths, Seniors: 1985-1991
- England Boys, Youths, Seniors: 1985-1991
- Eisenhower Trophy (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1990
- Walker Cup (representing Great Britain & Ireland): 1991
- "Good Evans, it's all over!". Today's Golfer. 5 December 2006. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- "Evans thrills Muirfield". BBC Sport. 21 July 2002. Retrieved 2009-06-13.
- Paul Lawrie sinks Turnberry albatross to join select Open club