|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 59th district
June 7, 2003
|Preceded by||Larry Woolard|
|Member of the Illinois House of Representatives
from the 117th district
January 2001 – June 2003
|Preceded by||Larry Woolard|
|Succeeded by||John Bradley|
January 4, 1945 |
|Profession||Farmer and business owner|
Gary Forby (born January 4, 1945) is a Democratic member of the Illinois Senate, representing the 59th District since June 2003. The 59th Senate District includes Franklin, Hamilton, Williamson, Saline, Gallatin, Hardin, Pope, Massac, Johnson, Union, Pulaski and Alexander counties in Southern Illinois.
He was previously a member of the Illinois House of Representatives from 2001 to 2003 before being appointed to fill former State Senator Larry Woolard’s vacant seat in 2003.
Early life, education and career
Born in Anna in 1945, Forby is a Southern Illinois native whose values reflect the rural district he represents. He currently lives in Benton with his four children and one grandchild and remains very active in a number of local community organizations such as the Shriners and the Elk’s Club.
Before being becoming a member of the General Assembly, Gary Forby worked on his farm in Southern Illinois and as an excavating contractor at Forby Excavating, a locally owned small business based in Benton, Illinois. Forby has served as the Chair of the Franklin County Board and as a member of the Benton Township Board and has been an active member of the Engineers’ and Laborers’ International Unions for nearly four decades.
Forby entered public service because he wanted the needs of Southern Illinois represented. During his time in the Senate, Forby has been a voice for the people of Southern Illinois by focusing on putting people to back work and bringing economic development to the area. Forby has also continued to be very outspoken about the need to pay the state's bills on time. While jobs and the economy are his main priorities, Forby has also worked to protect the most vulnerable residents in his district and improve their living conditions in Southern Illinois. He is a strong backer of Anna Veterans’ Home and a strong supporter of citizens’ second amendment rights.
- Muir, Jim (17 June 2003). "Gary Forby Becomes a State Senator Today". thesouthern.com. The Southern Illinoisan. Retrieved 21 January 2015.
- "PA 97-0006 Legislative District 56" (PDF). Illinois State Board of Elections. 2011-05-18. Retrieved 2015-09-07.
- "2012 Illinois primary results: Illinois Senate - Chicago Tribune". Elections.chicagotribune.com. Retrieved 2012-03-23.
- Biography, bills and committees at the 98th Illinois General Assembly
- Illinois State Senator Gary Forby constituency website
- Gary Forby for State Senator
- Profile at Project Vote Smart
- Senator Gary Forby at Illinois Senate Democrats