Gary L. Ginsberg
30 August 1962
|Occupation||Communications Chief at Time Warner|
|Children||Alec Ginsberg, Sam Ginsberg|
Gary Ginsberg (born August 30, 1962) is a lawyer, American political operative and corporate adviser who worked as a lawyer in the Clinton White House. After time at George and eleven years at News Corporation, he is currently the Corporate Marketing and Communications at Time Warner. He has provided pro-bono service as a speechwriter to Benjamin Netanyahu on a number of important occasions.
Ginsberg was a founding editor and legal counsel of George, the magazine started by John F. Kennedy, Jr.,—a friend from Brown University—after having served in the Clinton administration as a lawyer in the White House Counsel's office and at the Justice Department.
Ginsberg was a close confidant of Rupert Murdoch and Peter Chernin, serving for eleven years as News Corporation's executive vice president for marketing and corporate affairs, until his departure in late 2009. Earlier in 2009, Chernin had stepped down; Chernin was president of News Corp., for years Mr. Murdoch’s top lieutenant, and was also closely associated with Democratic politics. Mr. Ginsberg had been close to Mr. Chernin. In 2002 Ginsberg arranged a lunch and a meeting between Mr. Clinton and Murdoch in Harlem and then a tour for the ex-President of the New York Post newsroom. The Post ultimately endorsed Hillary Clinton for Senate in 2006 and Mr. Murdoch held a fund-raiser for her that year at the News Corp.’s New York headquarters. However, "efforts by Mr. Ginsberg to broker close ties between Mr. Murdoch and President Obama, which led to a meeting ... before the  election, did not result in an endorsement. (The Post endorsed Senator John McCain for president.)" Ginsberg was also "a point man for News Corp.’s 2007 purchase of Dow Jones, publisher of The Wall Street Journal."
Ginsberg joined Time Warner in February 2010. His new job was described "as a senior adviser to its CEO Jeff Bewkes..., executive vice president, ... [and] responsible for a range of corporate issues, including communications and marketing, and for evangelism across the media industry for Mr. Bewkes’s initiatives. Mr. Ginsberg’s hiring at Time Warner follows the recently announced departure of that company’s head of corporate communications, Edward Adler, Mr. Ginsberg will take on a broader role at the company."
Ginsberg has also volunteered his services as a speechwriter to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, having confirmed that he has worked on "a lot" of them. One-time Israeli Ambassador to the United States Michael B. Oren made seven references to Ginsberg's contributions to crafting Netanyahu's speeches in his 2015 memoir Ally: My Journey Across the American-Israeli Divide.
- "An Adviser to Murdoch Is Leaving News Corp.", by Tim Arango,The New York Times, November 16, 2009 (November 17, 2009 p. B4 NY ed.). Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "News Corp. Exec Jumps to Time Warner", by Shira Ovide and Nat Worden, The Wall Street Journal "Digits" blog, February 18, 2010, 11:51 AM ET. Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- "Another Exit From Bloomberg’s Inner Circle", by Michael Barbaro, The New York Times, March 30, 2010 (March 31, 2010 p. A19 of NY ed.). Retrieved 2010-07-20.
- Mondoweiss: Philip Weiss, "Time Warner executive moonlights as speechwriter for Netanyahu" July 28, 2015
- "Ally: My Journey Across the American-Israeli Divide", locations 2,224, 4,377, 5,394, 5,516, 6,707, 7,491, and 7,581.
- "Cityfile: Gary Ginsberg", Cityfile, Retrieved 2011-08-05.
- Jewish Journal: "From Holland to Hollywood: Sony CEO Michael Lynton on his Jewish journey" by Brad A. Greenberg October 4, 2007
- Genesis Prize Official Website, accessed March 18, 2015 http://www.genesisprize.org/about/leadership/31-board-of-directors-and-advisory-board/156-gary-ginsberg.html