Gary Graham (fashion designer)
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Fashion designer Gary Graham in 2008
June 21, 1969 |
|Residence||New York City|
|Education||School of the Art Institute of Chicago|
|Awards||Legend of Fashion Award|
Gary Graham (born June 21, 1969 in Wilmington, Delaware) is an American fashion designer and artist. His flagship boutique and design studio is located in the Tribeca neighborhood of New York City.
Gary Graham was born and raised in Wilmington, Delaware. After graduating from Newark High School, he studied painting for a year at Maryland Institute College of Art before transferring to the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, to study fashion design. Graham moved to New York City in 1993, where he worked as an assistant designer for J. Morgan Puett.
In 1999, Graham launched his eponymous line. The first collection introduced a historically inspired silhouette made entirely from garment-dyed quilted silk organza. With his early collections, Graham earned a favorable reputation for his elegantly deconstructed clothing and sophisticated craftsmanship. Today his clothing reflects his interest in history, contrasts between light and dark, and the roles of women in society.
For eight years Graham worked from his studio in a historic building in Tribeca. In August 2008 he opened his first boutique in the Flatiron District at ABC Carpet & Home, and opened his flagship store and studio in Tribeca in August 2009. In 2011 he launched Anagram, a capsule collection inspired by pieces from his namesake line.
Graham was a CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund finalist in 2009. In May 2010 Graham traveled to his alma mater in Chicago to accept the Legend of Fashion Award. He is a member of the Council of Fashion Designers of America.
Awards and nominations
- 2009: CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Finalist
- 2010: Legend of Fashion Award, The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
- Jessica Reaves, Designers Mantra: Learn in Chicago, Then Leave, New York Times, April 30, 2010
- Interview with Gary Graham, Letter to Jane, November 10, 2009
- Violet Moon Gaynor, One Hour with Gary Graham, ElleTV, February 3, 2010
- Leisa Barnett, Written With Love, Vogue UK, December 23, 2008
- Merle Ginsberg, New York Designer Gary Graham is the New Isabel Maran t, Fashion Rules, April 27, 2010
- Florence Kane, Top Ten, Vogue, November 2009
- Florence Kane, Meet the 2009 CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund Finalists: Gary Graham, Vogue Daily, August 2009
- Leila Brillson, Fashion Week Break-Out: Gary Graham, Interview, February 16, 2010
- Alison Baenen, Gary Graham, February 13, 2010
- Laird Borrelli-Persson, Gary Graham Goes Right Round, September 2, 2008
- Laird Borrelli-Persson, Gary Graham’s Collector Editions, May 11, 2009
- Rachel Syme, New York’s Party Princess: Taylor Momsen http://www.nypost.com/pagesixmag/issues/20090118/New+Yorks+Party+Princess+Taylor+Momsen, Page Six Magazine, New York Post, January 18, 2009
- CFDA/Vogue Fashion Fund, Council of Fashion Designers of America