|Occupation||Independent filmmaker and photographer|
|Helvetica, Objectified, Urbanized|
He is best known for his Design Trilogy of documentaries, which examines the impact of European and American trends in graphic design, typography, industrial design, architecture, and urban planning. He told Dwell magazine, "I like the idea of taking a closer look at the things we take for granted and changing the way people think about them, whether it’s type or objects or whatever."
Earlier in his career he was an independent book publisher.
- 2002: I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco, directed by Sam Jones
- 2003: "Dirty Old Town" (Ted Leo & the Pharmacists), directed by Justin Mitchell
- 2004: Moog, directed by Hans Fjellestad
- 2005: Drive Well, Sleep Carefully: On the Road with Death Cab for Cutie, directed by Justin Mitchell
- 2005: Spend an Evening with Saddle Creek, directed by Jason Kulbel and Rob Walters
- 2010: Animal Collective's ODDSAC, directed by Danny Perez
- "Helvetica A Documentary Film by Gary Hustwit" (PDF). Helvetica press kit. 21 March 2007. Archived from the original (PDF) on 9 April 2011. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Helvetica". Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Singer, Jill (19 April 2009). "Gary Hustwit". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Dwell, LLC (March 2009). Dwell. Dwell, LLC. pp. 42–. ISSN 1530-5309. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Plexifilm – About us". Plexi Productions LLC. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Objectified". Swiss Dots Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Urbanized". Swiss Dots Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Jay C (30 July 2010). "Gary Hustwit’s Third Film in the “Design Trilogy” Revealed: Urbanized". The Documentary Blog. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Kickstarter fundraising page for Urbanized". Kickstarter. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
- "Gary Hustwit". February 2018. Retrieved 27 February 2018.
|This article about a film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|