A former independent book publisher and Vice President of Salon.com, he is the founder, along with Sean Anderson, of Plexifilm, an independent DVD label and film production company. Hustwit is best known for his Design Trilogy which is composed of the documentaries Helvetica, Objectified and Urbanized. The trilogy deals with aspects of graphic design, typography, industrial design, architecture and urban planning. He said in an interview in Dwell magazine: "I like the idea of taking a closer look at the things we take for granted and changing the way people think about them, whether it’s type or objects or whatever".
Awards and nominations
In 2008, Hustwit was nominated for the "Truer Than Fiction Award" at the Independent Spirit Awards.
- 2002: I Am Trying to Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco - directed by Sam Jones
- 2003: Ted Leo & the Pharmacists: Dirty Old Town - directed by Justin Mitchell
- 2004: Moog - directed by Hans Fjellestad
- 2005: Drive Well, Sleep Carefully: On the Road with Death Cab for Cutie - directed by Justin Mitchell
- 2005: Spend an Evening with Saddle Creek - directed by Jason Kulbel and Rob Walters
- 2010: Animal Collective's ODDSAC - directed by Danny Perez
- "Helvetica". Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Singer, Jill (19 April 2009). "Gary Hustwit". The New York Times. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Helvetica A Documentary Film by Gary Hustwit" (PDF). Helvetica press kit. 21 March 2007. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Plexifilm – About us". Plexi Productions LLC. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Dwell, LLC (March 2009). Dwell. Dwell, LLC. pp. 42–. ISSN 1530-5309. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Objectified". Swiss Dots Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Urbanized". Swiss Dots Ltd. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- Jay C (30 July 2010). "Gary Hustwit’s Third Film in the “Design Trilogy” Revealed: Urbanized". The Documentary Blog. Retrieved 15 March 2011.
- "Kickstarter fundraising page for Urbanized". Kickstarter. Retrieved 5 March 2011.
|This article about a film director is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|