Gary LaFree is a professor of criminology and criminal justice at the University of Maryland and the director of the National Center for the Study of Terrorism and Responses to Terrorism (START). His main areas of expertise are sociology, criminology, race and crime, and terrorism.
LaFree previously taught at Indiana University (1975-1976) and the University of New Mexico (1979-2000). He was also the director of the New Mexico Criminal Justice Statistics Analysis Center from 1988 to 2001.
LaFree is a member of the American Society of Criminology and the National Consortium on Violence Research. He was president of the American Society of Criminology for the year 2005-2006. LaFree is also on the editorial boards of several scientific journals including the Journal of Research in Crime and Delinquency, the International Journal of Comparative and Applied Criminal Justice, the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology and the International Journal of Conflict and Violence.
- Educational spending and imprisonment risk: The role of schools as prison gatekeepers with Richard Arum (2009)
- Developmental victimology and the homicide victimization of infants and young children with Gwen Hunnicut (2008)
- The situational analysis of crime and deviance with Christopher Birkbeck (1993)
On race and crime
- Is the gap between black and white arrest rates narrowing? National trends for personal contact crimes, 1960 to 2002 with Robert O'Brien and Erich Baumer (2006)
- The effect of racially segregated schools on African American and white incarceration rates, 1970 to 1990 with Richard Arum (2006)
- Race and crime with Michelle Hussong (2000)
- African-American collective action and crime with Kriss Drass (1997)
- Race and crime trends in the United States, 1946‑1990 (1994)
- The argument for studying race and crime with Katheryn K. Russell (1993)
- The impact of British counter terrorist strategies on political violence in Northern Ireland: Comparing deterrence and backlash models with Laura Dugan and Raven Korte (2009)
- Build a criminal justice policy for terrorism with James Hendrickson (2007)
- Global terrorism and failed states with Laura Dugan and Susan Fahey (2007)
- Gary LaFree at the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice of the University of Maryland.